What car would you buy with $15k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    Spending a little more for a car that has a better chance of being reliable might not be unwise, either. A $19,000 M5 in good shape might be a better choice than a $15,000 M5 that's about to develop oil leaks and transmission issues.
    I thought about raising the limit, really dont want to but i might have to but im down to 4 cars in my head. lets see who wins.
    1993 Accord LX - Sold
    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Aw, rare steak is the shit!

I have to agree with you on the M3s, Henry. Though I seem to find something attractive in every model. The E30 reminds me of my CB7... 200hp from a screaming 4 cylinder... though those blistered fenders turn the normally attractive E30 into a true thing of beauty! There is a shop in North Jersey that I pass at least once a week. They have a pair of race-prepped E30 M3s (fully caged), and a few newer models as well. There are quite a few E30 M3s in NJ, actually. Fortunately, I have yet to see one that's been abused.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
        You make a good point there Mike. I did that with the CG, didnt really like it but the price was right, it was clean with low miles and i needed a car after I sold the black CB to Gus so I bough it. I know you've read my threads about not having that connection with it and now that i might need i second tranny im ready to get rid of it forever but i want my next car to be something I really like but somewhat problem free (BMWs problem ree? ). Im trying not to just make an emotional decision here but emotions are winning. You know how obsessed i am with these damn E39 M5. The good thing is that alot of parts can be used from E39 540 or E38(not that much cheaper but thats an option)

The M5 would be a dream but after thinking this over last night I'll probably have to pass or purchase it as a 2nd car. If i could buy one from an enthusiast that did most of the maintenance and repairs i would feel better but buying one from a dealer is not sitting well with me. These suckers cost $1k for a DIY brake job and double that at the dealer Not to mention the carbon build up issues or Vanos issues. As i said i really factored in these things and I know I can afford it but i dont wanna blow ALL my raise money on car repair/maintenance. At this point even the E38 740 Sport is way cheaper to own and with a little bit of modding can be fun to drive too.

You are right about the TL though, i really feel its the best bang for my buck and it might be the winner..so lets see
        Yeah, something like that would probably be best as a second car, for sure. If I didn't have my Fit to rely on, and my CB7 as my project... the CTS-V wouldn't be nearly as ideal a choice for me. If it was to be a primary car, I don't doubt that it'd suffer a fate similar to that of my GTP.
        Then again, my concept of a daily driver and most people's concept of a daily driver are two different things! I drive a LOT... and even when I'm not driving for work, I'll just cruise around for an hour or so to relax.

The M5 would be ideal in the same capacity as the CTS-V will be for me. A nice, classy, powerful car that you can be proud of and show off when it matters. Something that won't get abused by a daily commute, and something that, if it breaks, you can afford some downtime while you save for the repair cost. If it's your only car, and it needs a $3000 repair so you can get to work... that's gonna be a bitch!
        Though that's definitely one benefit to the E39 being the first M5 that wasn't hand-assembled. It's basically just a souped up regular 5 Series. That takes away some of the appealing exclusivity... but it does mean that the more affordable parts from the lower models can be used. That's one of the things I like about the CTS-V. I can get replacement engine parts from some redneck's blown up Camaro!

Can you keep the CG and pick up an M5 on the side, or do you need the money from selling/trading the CG to afford the new car? If you could swing both, that'd be a good pair. The CG is efficient and reliable, and it's still a decent looking car. It's not as "you" as the M5 would be, but it's certainly not one of those cars that people would look at and say "what the hell is that big Jamaican dude doing in THAT?" like a Ford Festiva or something...

Comment

Aw, rare steak is the shit!

I have to agree with you on the M3s, Henry. Though I seem to find something attractive in every model. The E30 reminds me of my CB7... 200hp from a screaming 4 cylinder... though those blistered fenders turn the normally attractive E30 into a true thing of beauty! There is a shop in North Jersey that I pass at least once a week. They have a pair of race-prepped E30 M3s (fully caged), and a few newer models as well. There are quite a few E30 M3s in NJ, actually. Fortunately, I have yet to see one that's been abused.
          I'd abuse one like a red headed step child. I grew up on an older 3 series e21 chassis dark blue looked like:

My dad owned one back when I was around 4 and for some reason I just love that body style. So I guess you can say I've been a bimmer fan all my life.

Definitely a rare find nowadays.

I do dig the e90 4 door though.

BMWs have always tugged at me for a long time, and I agree with Dean just repair them alone (DIY selfer) is stupidily expensive. So you have to have the dough just to back up all the bills. Unless you find one that never needs work you'll be broke forever.

I recently drove an 2001 Audi S4..with that twin turbo six speed I whipped it around the back roads near H22Wagon93's (Mark) house thing was a blast and I did not want to get out of 2nd gear (so much torque and the instant boost is like VTEC on roids) but then I found out the problems they have if they're aren't taken cared of.

German cars definitely over engineered but the problem is they build the damn car AROUND the motor.

I don't do rare..bleh the though of it being border line raw and cooked..doesn't sit well with me.
          Last edited by HenRoc; 09-04-2011, 12:56 PM.
          Henry R
          Koni/Neuspeed
          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
          1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
          Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
          made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Yeah, something like that would probably be best as a second car, for sure. If I didn't have my Fit to rely on, and my CB7 as my project... the CTS-V wouldn't be nearly as ideal a choice for me. If it was to be a primary car, I don't doubt that it'd suffer a fate similar to that of my GTP.
            Then again, my concept of a daily driver and most people's concept of a daily driver are two different things! I drive a LOT... and even when I'm not driving for work, I'll just cruise around for an hour or so to relax.

The M5 would be ideal in the same capacity as the CTS-V will be for me. A nice, classy, powerful car that you can be proud of and show off when it matters. Something that won't get abused by a daily commute, and something that, if it breaks, you can afford some downtime while you save for the repair cost. If it's your only car, and it needs a $3000 repair so you can get to work... that's gonna be a bitch!
            Though that's definitely one benefit to the E39 being the first M5 that wasn't hand-assembled. It's basically just a souped up regular 5 Series. That takes away some of the appealing exclusivity... but it does mean that the more affordable parts from the lower models can be used. That's one of the things I like about the CTS-V. I can get replacement engine parts from some redneck's blown up Camaro!

Can you keep the CG and pick up an M5 on the side, or do you need the money from selling/trading the CG to afford the new car? If you could swing both, that'd be a good pair. The CG is efficient and reliable, and it's still a decent looking car. It's not as "you" as the M5 would be, but it's certainly not one of those cars that people would look at and say "what the hell is that big Jamaican dude doing in THAT?" like a Ford Festiva or something...
            I could swing both but the tranny issues makes me wanna ditch it even though spending a grand or less could remedy the problem. The CG is really reliable because ive done everything else to it, if i get a working tranny tend my headache would be remedied.

The option of fixing the Cg once again have crossed my mind and just save a few more thousands and get even a lower mileage M5 as the fun car.

2nd option was to get the M5, sell or trade in the CG (this plan might not come to fruition)

3rd option...get an 01 740 Sport, sell or trade the CG and use the money for meticulous maintenance and use it as my DD/only car.

4th option get an 04-07 TL, sell or trade the CG.

5th option LS430 or GS3/4 but i doubt that will happen because the cost of getting them to VIP glory would cost more than a low mileage 04 Civic.
            1993 Accord LX - Sold
            93 BMW 525it - SOLD
            92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
            2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
            2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
            2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
            2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
            2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

I seriously considered an S4 of that vintage myself... but the electrical issues that arise are killer.

Most German cars are ideal to buy new, under warranty, and move on before you're responsible for any major repairs yourself! BMW ranks at the top as the most reliable German manufacturer (in my eyes, anyway... that's simply my opinion), though there are a number of BMWs that I wouldn't touch with a borrowed stick... the 7 series, for example, is notoriously unreliable as they age and accumulate mileage. The 3 and 5 series are pretty damn solid, though.

And yeah... VIPing your only car is just asking for trouble. It's difficult to have a car that's truly VIP status, and maintain that look while the car is subject to the regular abuse that comes with being a daily driver.

Comment

Working...
              X