No announcement yet.

Driving with cell phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, you should turn that into a product. It'll be more useful than that damned "selfie stick."

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      lol! someone is going to get a picture of you doing that and caption it! I can see it now...

But back to the topic. So stereo's support a mp3 jack, which you connect to a mp3 device, or in this day, your phone! I use my phone for music all the time in the cb7. Now when I'm switching songs, I'm pushing a button on my phone. Same thing I would have to do if I had the OEM stereo in. Yet, I'm technically using my phone. Same thing Dev did.
      Exactly. My drummer got a ticket for being on his phone for doing that exact thing!

I'm lucky. The Fit supports the iPhone, so I can plug it into a cable that goes into a module attached to the back of the OEM stereo, and control the tracks from there. It's nifty! Of course, I'm constantly switching between MP3s, Pandora, and Audible... so I'm still handling the phone occasionally as well.

Comment

To echo what is said here, I'm terrified every time when I'm on the highway and someone (not to be judgemental, but typically an 18-30 year old woman) rips past me in the fast lane on FB.

I have BT in the Tacoma and while I am typically talking to my Mom on the way home from work, I find a BT call to be no more distracting than talking to someone in the vehicle, I find myself regularly checking my mirrors, being aware, etc.

In the STi I do not have any sort of BT / hands free and although it is legal in MA to talk and drive, I refuse to. It would be slightly easier to do so if my car was AT instead of 6MT, but even then, I always found that the physical act of having the phone in my hand to be terribly distracting.

I have an old iPod touch which I have connected to the stereo in the STi, which I can control via the deck. That gives me all the audio I could ever want w/o having any issues. The truck has BT audio which lets me access 90% of my audio without any issue. I don't have enough data plan to support Pandora / I Heart Radio / di.fm / etc.

Texting terrifies me. I wish they'd crack down on it more.

In MA I believe texting is a moving violation, which can easily add up, but then again, everything except the new wipers on / headlights on law is a moving violation (altered suspension and aftermarket exhaust is included).

Comment

the best is when i hit my police siren at someone talking on the cell phone. it must be milliseconds between the phone is in thier hand till it hits the floor or thier lap and they start looking around for a cop bhahahahaha.

it gets difficult not to bust out laughing but i have it down pretty well. so who's really breaking the law?
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

It's been proven that using BT/speaker/car speaker is just as distracting while driving which is why some businesses ban it.

They should just ban use of the phone while in a car period. I hate driving with people who just sit there playing with their phone (my gf). It really does take away from the driving experience.

Comment

i have an old bar phone and the speaker quality is awful- VERY hard for me and the caller. it does not have bluetooth. honestly, i would just get fucking annoyed at the person on the end of the line and just want them to stfu so i can pay attention to driving. so, i don't deal with my phone at all while on the road. plus, i've always needed music to keep my anxiety down while i drive, so calls are hard to pull off. i use an mp3 player or cds. i just pop it on before the car is out of park. volume is easy to adjust- just a simple knob. i can do that without taking my eyes off the road. obviously, i don't text and drive because of the type of phone i have. it's hard enough to text with a basic numerical keypad in general. if it's an important call, i just pull over somewhere and call them back.

i also don't like gps either. i use maps. i'm more of a 'see the whole picture and plan my route in advance' type of person and the gps is distracting/aggravating plus, like having a phone call, the damn thing doesn't shut up and therefore annoys me.

i can light a smoke while driving. i keep a lighter right in my door pocket for this and can grab it without looking down. cigarettes are on the dash. i usually grab one at a red light though.

but yeah, i have seen WAAAY to many stupids on the phone while driving and it really DOES affect people's driving. they don't pay attention and almost hit someone at a red, go super slow, swerve, etc. just throw on some good tunes and drive! i like my car a lot and worked way too hard to lose it over a damn cell phone.

Comment

Quebec man fined $120 for using Apple Watch while driving
                http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/quebe...ving-1.2394358

Chevy My Link
                "You can even have text messages read back to you and respond with a predetermined message."

This is getting pretty annoying. What's the difference between pushing "next song" on my radio in the dash and the button on my phone (or watch). I think they need to get the laws up to date with technology. What pisses me off is that I'm sure the cops will be selective in who they give tickets to. How ironic that they can use a stereo, radio(cb), laptop and other devices (lights, night light, etc.).
                Last edited by Raf99; 05-28-2015, 07:39 AM.

Comment

In NJ, cops are allowed to use phones while driving. I normally defend the police every chance I get, but that's just absurd. Police officers should be required to obey 100&#37; of the traffic laws that everyone else must obey, unless they have their emergency lights and siren on (with VERY few exceptions, such as when stealth is needed.)

The issue is that technology is growing faster than the laws can adapt. Laws are being issued arbitrarily, based on the opinions of the lawmakers.
                  To be honest, I've come close to crashing while reaching for my Bluetooth device, whereas I could've just held the phone to my head and been perfectly safe. Granted, none of that was an issue before I had a cell phone, and in the days before I had one, I didn't need one. Nothing was so urgent that I couldn't wait to get home, or pull over and find a pay phone. Why is my phone so important now? Why is anyone's phone so important now?

Comment

People (friends, family, co-workers, etc.) Expect an immediate response whenever THEY want to talk to you or when it's convenient for THEM.

I normally get bombarded with questions if I don't pick up the first time. It gets old, quick

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

It's amazing how things have changed in 15 years or so, with the introduction of the cell phone to the average person's life.

Comment

considering i live in the south and neither my home nor cb even has air conditioning, i can go without my phone while i'm in my car. everyone knows i won't pick up. they deal with it.

Comment

How ironic that they can use a stereo, radio(cb), laptop and other devices (lights, night light, etc.).
                          Actually a few months before I moved out of WA, I remembering listening to the news saying there were laws being put into place to keep them from using these devices while on the road. Since then I noticed a lot of police officers on the sides of roads or parking lots not clocking people but checking their computers.
                          Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                            People (friends, family, co-workers, etc.) Expect an immediate response whenever THEY want to talk to you or when it's convenient for THEM.

I normally get bombarded with questions if I don't pick up the first time. It gets old, quick
                            my buddy will call me at work to talk about his "ideas" for another project when he owes me 1500 for a motor that i built and is currently sitting in my shop. some friend huh....overall hes a cool guy but i hate talking on the phone. id rather have a couple beers and shoot the shit in person.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Quebec man fined $120 for using Apple Watch while driving
                              http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/quebe...ving-1.2394358

Chevy My Link
                              "You can even have text messages read back to you and respond with a predetermined message."

This is getting pretty annoying. What's the difference between pushing "next song" on my radio in the dash and the button on my phone (or watch). I think they need to get the laws up to date with technology. What pisses me off is that I'm sure the cops will be selective in who they give tickets to. How ironic that they can use a stereo, radio(cb), laptop and other devices (lights, night light, etc.).
                              when the google glass fad was in high gear some lady got a traffic ticket for driving with them on lol.

a while back here they canned some Illinois state police jackass that was going 126mph while sending emails and talking on the phone with his gf and obliterated 18 and 13 y.o. sisters after drifting and crossing the median. Then he the nerve to sue for workmans comp lmao.

Comment

And I think the best point of all is that we are taking away from the driving experience (well besides the safety aspect). Personally I hate what technology has brought society to and cell phones is one of the major ones.

I listed to a radio broadcast in the car the other day about cell phones being in schools. The principal said that they tried to enforce a full ban of phones in the school but could not keep up with the enforcing. They now allow cell phones in the school and try to encourage students to use them in positive ways:
                                - take notes
                                - take pictures of drawings the teacher put on the board
                                - google the answer to something
                                - review items from last class (pictures)
                                - text a friend for advise when they are too embarrassed to ask

Most students that were interviewed said they don't talk to their friends, they would rather text. Even if they are beside them. The principal noted that the library (books) will be a thing of the past in the next 5 years. She said no-one uses it and all students rely on on-line information for data sources.

So... no-one plays outside anymore, no-one talk to each other, no socializing anymore at all. And like driving with a bunch of people in the car it's not a "road trip" anymore, it's a "We are going to play on our phones until we reach our destination" drive.

Makes me wish I could go back in time. Back when you made friends by walking up to people and saying Hi.

Comment

Working...
                                X