Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 vette is reliable but slow l-88 205 hp and about 265 tq nice cars and with a lil work they can be fast but my friend in his mostly stock teg smoked one

"Tucking tires and wires."
    The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid
      The other thing that really gets me is these Z06 guys, loosen the fuck up will ya? Its not the last battle you've lost nor the first. What I can really gather after nearly 2 years of this thread being here and growing to approx. 17 pages of hostility towards us is this...

You guys cant stomach the fact that a grocery getter slapped a 60k luxury sports car in the face...and for one of the vette lovers who owned an Accord (who the hell cares what you have now) dragged it on for nearly 2 years is really ignorant and had to resort to bringing his 'friends' here so they could bash on one our members.

Theres this guy in Taiwan with a 400 hp beast and another guy named Carlos (Accord SiR) whos pushing 414 hp in his coupe and its a daily driver.

Apparently all the domestic guys seem to say rice this rice that and anything Honda = Rice.
      Ok,

I don't think you guys have been actually reading my posts. For the third time... I think its very impressive that the originator of this thread has an n/a I4 that runs in the 12's (Esp in Arizona, where the track d/a's rarely dip below 1000, corrected et's would probably be closer to 12.7). Never in any post have a flamed any person, or thrown the R bomb around (Ricer). As fpr dragging my friends into this well... This was actually posted on more then one prodiminantly v8 site (one corvette, one cobra). As for all Honda's being RICE, I would have to disagree again. The origination of the term RICE came from Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement (A huge carbon fiber wing would be RICE, unless your car actually requires the downforce at 180 mph for example). This is a term that has been around for a LOOOOONG time, but got pushed to the forfront after the F&F. This doesn't automatically make every accord, or japanese car RICE.

Here was my orignial point. Granted some drivers are better then others.. We all know this, and it should be stipulated by all. However, the original poster runs time of 12.9 (at his elevation, I would stipulate at HRP, E-Town, Atco, etc.. he would shave a couple .1's off also). As was pointed out by the article posted earlier of the z06 (if anyone read it) z06's are in fact caple of 11 second 1/4 mile times. Will every z06 owner see 11's in his car? 95% probably not.. Unless they can launch, row through gear, and the air quality is good. However the original poster has also mentioned that he ran his car on slicks/skinnies to accomplish his 12 second pass. Subtract at LEAST .2's even if he runs drag radials/skinnies or .3's if he runs drag radials/regular tires on the street. This puts him at a 13.2/13.3. Next off, he said he had 3 passengers. Drag racer rule of thumb is .1 per 100 lbs. 3 passengers even at an average weight of 133 lbs would add up to another 400 lbs, and .4 on the et. That would put him at a 13.7 on street tires, added weight for passengers. So now your putting the z06 in the high 13 possibly even low 14 second range if it was the original poster's best run. Driver error can account for some of this difference, but you would have to find someone that doesnt know how to drive a manual to extract times 2 seconds (thats about 18-20 car lengths in the 1/4 mile) off of the cars capabilities.

As for if 2point6 wants to meet up with a Vette driver, that isnt a problem. April 9 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway would be a great oppurtunity. The West Coast Corvette Challenge will be there during the regular test and tune for points style bracket racing. I will also be in attendance, but I probably wouldnt be the most fair run.

FWIW, don't think I have a hatred for Japenese cars... Not only do I own one currently, Im a former owner of a JDM CRX, and a Silvia (I was stationed in Japan, Im in the Marine Corps). I also don't think my car is the fastest on the planet, I lost with a 12.22 to a Dodge mini-van. As for the 2 cars mentioned with 400+ whp, those are impressive automobiles.. In my mind fast is fast... Domestic, Japanese, or European. Doesn't matter when you staring at tail lights heading to the traps, and thats what really matters.

Comment

Originally posted by wlfpck
        How do you make lets say a v8 mustang last for 200k miles? (i'm not bashing anyone, I just wanna know.)
        Typically, no engine will last longer then a 2v per cyl push rod v-8. As with any engine, the key is proper maintance. Keep it within designed operating RPM's, change the oil on regular maint schedule, and ensure fuel system is always in proper working order, and it should far surpass 200k on the odometer, however you will probably have some compression loss (gaskets start to detoriate over time, etc..).

In today's engines, there really isn't alot of difference, technology wise between european, japanese, and domestic.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaps11secC5
          Typically, no engine will last longer then a 2v per cyl push rod v-8. As with any engine, the key is proper maintance. Keep it within designed operating RPM's, change the oil on regular maint schedule, and ensure fuel system is always in proper working order, and it should far surpass 200k on the odometer, however you will probably have some compression loss (gaskets start to detoriate over time, etc..).

In today's engines, there really isn't alot of difference, technology wise between european, japanese, and domestic.
          but who has the patience to baby the car for their rest of their life?
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by dwf137
            I'm not going to sit here and say that domestics are complete crap, because I do not. I do believe that the technology used in imports, namely hondas and nissans is superior to most domestic sports cars. The domestic view of a sports car is displacement. The bigger of an engine they can get, the easier. This is true, it's much easier to make a 5.6L enigne powerfull and fast, plain and simple, but that's not all that's involved in making a car fast/powerfull.
            Honestly, it isnt as much who has the technology to do what, its what auto manufacturer is willing to put componets in a vehicle that will do it. The 03 Cobra is a great example. Forged bottom end, ready to take tons of boost on the factory block. Many have run 10's without ever touching the bottom end of the motor. Slap a Kenne Bell blower on top, crank the boost to 20 psi, and do all the bolt ons. Its kind of similar to how Nissian put the ability for the SR20DE to handle tt's even though they weren't available for domestic (to us) sale. Or the Toyota 2jz block is capable to handle 800rwhp on the stock block. The z06 (the car in question from the origination of this post) is one of the modern marvels in technology. The car gets 30 mpg on the highway, can rev to 6500 rpm's, and makes boatloads of torque throughout the curve. The devolpment of the small block chevy has come a long way in the 50 years its been in production. So the question isn't as much which is better, foreign or domestic, but who's willing to put out the products that they feel they can make a profit on..

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
              but who has the patience to baby the car for their rest of their life?

Not me...

I was only speaking to capabilities... I didn't by a sports car to pick up groceries... I'm proud to drive mine like I stole it.

Comment

I'm locking this for now. 7+ pages have appeeared in 2 days, and not a bit of it is useful!

Scott, when you or anyone else gets a good race on video, and capable of being viewed and shared on a computer, I'll reopen the thread. PM me so you can share! I know I want to see it!

Comment

Working...
                X