Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

DBSharp's Turbo Fabrication thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when you say a compression test at WOT...do I press the accelrator before I do it

When I did the compression test...I didn't press the accelrator or turn the fuel injectors off

I'm going to runn another test tomorrow
    Last edited by Gtseviper; 05-24-2010, 09:31 PM.
    New paint job and bumper 8/8/11
    tsx retrofit
    f22b dohc boosted
    custom gauges pods

Motivation is one of the keys to life....tell me "can't" and I wll show you I can

Comment

Originally posted by Gtseviper View Post
      when you say a compression test at WOT...do I press the accelrator before I do it

When I did the compression test...I didn't press the accelrator or turn the fuel injectors off

I'm going to runn another test tomorrow
      check compression at wide open throttle with no fuel.
      spin city

Comment

150 accross is low but i think you didnt do it right bro!

heres how i do mine
        unplug the harness for the dizzy
        step on the gas WOT
        then crank it 6-8sec

Comment

I did the compression today with no fuel and wide open throttle..still 150 psi...ughhhhh...I'm start preparing my other block..so when I pull the head off I'm going to well the drain holes shot as well
          Last edited by Gtseviper; 05-25-2010, 08:36 PM.
          tsx retrofit
          f22b dohc boosted
          custom gauges pods

Motivation is one of the keys to life....tell me "can't" and I wll show you I can

Comment

before I give the machine shop to do hone my block...could I give them my new piston rings since the pistons are currently in my engine
            tsx retrofit
            f22b dohc boosted
            custom gauges pods

Comment

If you want to trust them to gap them and handle the rings correctly then yea sure give it to em! I don't trust a machine shop with anything I don't have too personally.
              spin city

Comment

oh no...they are sure as well not gapping it for me...I will be doing that myself..I was just talking about the bore..I just want the block honed professional..I bought a dial bore gauge recently and I can check the bore myself after

I read alot about stuff before I do it..but I know sometimes I over look stuff like break-in prodecure...I just figure since I have a brand new set of rings and a stock unhoned block..I want to give it another shot before I finally decide to make a decision...I'm stubborn on stuff not being the way it should...I fully understand what I need to do now to get the rings to seat correctly within the first 20 miles and you showed me some stuff as well

Do you hone your own blocks?
                Last edited by Gtseviper; 05-25-2010, 11:22 PM.
                tsx retrofit
                f22b dohc boosted
                custom gauges pods

Comment

No. I do not hone my own. If I had the time and tools I certainly would though. Don't give the machine shop your rings, they can't do anything with them. I had my block machined to +.001 over 85.5mm should give me around .0035" piston to wall. That also gives a little room for error in case the machinist's tools are off a bit or the piston is a bit too big. I had two machine shops measure my bore and they came up with slightly different numbers....
                  spin city

Comment

Do they have to have the pistons at hand?

alright cool...well when I check the other block I was looking at about max a
                    +.0045 piston to wall clearance if I was to get the cylinders round...I am thankful for all the info I gained from you and all the individual on cb that help include ash on honda-tech...I feel a little better about it now...I have a leak where the holes I plugged...sooo I'm just going to weld the holes and resurface the head....just consider my first build an learning experience...I am going to do it right this time including a much better break-in procedure
                    Last edited by Gtseviper; 05-26-2010, 11:12 PM.
                    tsx retrofit
                    f22b dohc boosted
                    custom gauges pods

Comment

considering the fact that a teflon coted piston cannot be measured correctly, because your piston to wall clearance is from metal to metal, having the piston in hand should not make any difference. If you take a measurement from the piston and then use that to figure your piston to wall, your measurement will not be correct.
                      spin city

Comment

alright D...I pulled the head...and my intake ports...intake runners had oil in them including oil on the valve stems... the exhaust ports were dry...the pistons had oil the top.. .any ideas
                        tsx retrofit
                        f22b dohc boosted
                        custom gauges pods

Comment

My advice? Throughly check your valve train and go with the next block and ring set. You should be good if you do that. I know you said it wasn't coming from the turbo so this is all that is left to cause it.

Check out my DIY's
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=160991
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=160994

I re painted my manifold and cured it in the oven properly. This coating better stay on this time!

My fresh painted block!

Now for some lsd damage pics! Fuck OBX and fuck their "Lifetime Warranty"

There used to be 6 washers in the diff......
                          ALL worm gears have significant wear.
                          One washer retainer is broken

I can reuse the worm gears by de-burring them but I have to have the broken washer retainer. Lucky for me I have the resources to get shit taken care of. I have submitted a CAD drawing to a local machine shop where this part will be lazer cut and then turned on a lathe, all for free! Washers are no problem to get a hold of.

OBX will not respond to my emails anymore. They only responded to my first email when I ask how to get warranty service. They told me to contact the reseller (Tunatom on ebay), who will not answer the phone or respond to my emails. He appears to be out of business.

I look on the BBB site and OBX has a rating of F! Big surprise. Ill file a complaint with them even though it wont do any good.
                          spin city

Comment

Yeah I checked the other block it isn't any different from the one o i have in there...I had 187,000 miles on the other block that I took out my car...I'm sending the valvetrain to the machine shop to do a complete head job....I think I am having problems now because my timing belt at came off while I was driving and a few other times the timing was set right while I had it idling....

man the engine stuff is coming along great...nice manifold and man what the hell is with the lsd....obx..grrrr

you can use 2000 degree paint from the auto parts store and you wouldn't need a oven...mine stays on just fine
                            Last edited by Gtseviper; 05-30-2010, 08:49 PM.
                            tsx retrofit
                            f22b dohc boosted
                            custom gauges pods

Comment

Originally posted by Gtseviper View Post
                              you can use 2000 degree paint from the auto parts store and you wouldn't need a oven...mine stays on just fine
                              Read the can. You are supposed to cure it in an oven.
                              spin city

Comment

what...cure...forget that...my exhaust heat will cure that bad boy....lol...I'm to lazy to do that anyway....come on d...lol
                                tsx retrofit
                                f22b dohc boosted
                                custom gauges pods

Comment

Working...
                                X