H311RA151N : 1993 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
    Clutch! Lemme drive. I still would like to know how the flywheel responds once you break it in, sir.

I meant to ask, what's your profession?
    I'm going with the OEM replacement clutch as I had originally planned. I was thinking about doing something different but with the Exedy OEM replacement I don't have to wonder how it's going to act. Kinda hard to follow through with straying away from that. The OEM replacement clutch will be plenty anyhow. The one I have in my 1991 I like pretty well. And for like $90 shipped from Rock Auto it's hard to beat.

Comment

Flywheel and pressure plate bolts came in today. I already had the pressure plate bolts but I went ahead and bought an eBay listing where both p-plate and flywheel bolts were combined for $36 shipped.

I would have gotten the flywheel bolts from the salvage yard when I pulled the 5 speed transmission but I was really pressed for time that day. The engine I removed the transmission from was gone the next day when I went back to get the flywheel bolts. And I wasn't about to pull another transmission just for some bolts!

As can be seen, one pressure plate bolt has a head that's slightly messed up. Laying down closest to the camera and a bit out of focus. I have several good ones to replace it with so it's of no concern. Just something I noticed. Someone likely got in a hurry with an air impact and tried zipping it off before the socket was on it all the way.

Comment

Looks like just a little trimming on either the transmission or the mount will sort that out. Still, it is good to note that it's not a perfect fit. I'm really interested in changing my mounts to innovative mounts. Are you using the medium stiffness mounts?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
          Looks like just a little trimming on either the transmission or the mount will sort that out. Still, it is good to note that it's not a perfect fit. I'm really interested in changing my mounts to innovative mounts. Are you using the medium stiffness mounts?
          I'm only going to be using one swap mount as for the immediate future. I will get the other two soon and fabricate a mount for the front. The new Anchor mounts I have to go in with the swap will hold for much longer than I will need them to. I never drive this car hard anyhow.

Urethane in mount is black so it's 75A which is "track." 85A is grey and is "race". 95A is red and "extreme".

A few minutes with a file will solve the fitment issue.

Comment

3qts Manual Trans Fluid
            Soldering Tool Kit
            Acrylic Conformal Coating

OEM Shift Boot
            TCU Components
            OEM Rear Main Seal

Comment

Josh, I'm not trying to say nodon'tdoit or anything, but flywheel bolts are torque to yield and should not be reused. You probably know this though, so sorry if I'm blowing smoke up your ass. Be careful torqueing those suckers down.

Comment

Josh, I'm not trying to say nodon'tdoit or anything, but flywheel bolts are torque to yield and should not be reused. You probably know this though, so sorry if I'm blowing smoke up your ass. Be careful torqueing those suckers down.

If you want to spend $50-$60 on flywheel bolts then go ahead. But just note that almost no one else does and no one I know ever has. I can personally say that I've done a shit ton of flywheel/flexplate installs in the last couple of years without a single failure or someone coming back and complaining about anything not to mention anything reguarding flywheel bolts.

The rule for torque to yeilld is 10% over by the way. And I looked in the service manual and it doesn't say anything about flywheel bolts. Like it does head bolts. I would like to know how you came across the info that our flywheel bolts are torque to yield. But even if they are it's of no concern. You can go through MRT after MRT and if a person has changed the clutch/flywheel they used the factory bolts.

Your not going to piss me off or anything man. You seem aright by me. Thanks for bringing the topic up.

Comment

I came across it in AllData. Said the same thing about my vr6 too. And for the cv axle bolts as well. Those aren't on cb7s though. I ordered new ones because I'm anal. You can have my used ones for $30 any day.

Comment

I came across it in AllData. Said the same thing about my vr6 too. And for the cv axle bolts as well. Those aren't on cb7s though. I ordered new ones because I'm anal. You can have my used ones for $30 any day.
                    Damn! I wish I would have known. 76ftlbs and 14ftlbs I'm not worried about it. Normally I'm the one where people are like "man, that's not really necessary..."

It can't hurt honestly. But why go OEM when you can go ARP for less. $60 for both flywheel and pressure plate bolts.

Comment

I'm sure reusing them once is fine, but if you're the kind of person who burns through clutches it'll eventually leave you with a broken bolt in your block. I guess the only way to know if it's no longer useable is when it breaks

Comment

Exedy factory replacement clutch set.

Comment

Or you could measure the length of the current ones in relation to new ones. If it yielded (weakend) then it would be slightly longer.
                          '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

I'm sure reusing them once is fine, but if you're the kind of person who burns through clutches it'll eventually leave you with a broken bolt in your block. I guess the only way to know if it's no longer useable is when it breaks
                            I have a friend (not much of a friend anymore, won't go into that) who drag races a ZC in a 94? 95? hatch. Burns through clutches about once a month in the summer. IMO it's likely because he never breaks them in but it really doesn't matter. I think it's been since... 2011 or 2012 that he's been into the sport. Never broken a bolt off in the crankshaft (not block) . I know of 6 times he's changed clutches and I'm absolutely sure there are more times I never knew about and I'm just as sure those are the original bolts. That's excessive I would agree and likely asking for it. But, like I said, I've been at this a while. It's never happened to me either. It's much more uncommon than common. Never heard of anyone breaking a flywheel bolt under normal circumstances (that includes reusing bolts) only issue I've ever heard of regardless is flywheel bolts backing out. You can get ARP p-plate and flywheel bolts for about the price you can get OEM flywheel bolts alone.

Edit... I have a friend over who used to work in the service department at Toyota and Honda also but briefly. He said they would check them with set of digital calipers. Unless they were over torqued in the past he says they would reuse them on most vehicles. He quit in 2010 and he noticed having to replace them more often with all newer Honda or Toyota vehicles. This is beyond me honestly. I go by my experience but I'm definitely interested in learning new things.
                            Last edited by H311RA151N; 05-27-2015, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                              Or you could measure the length of the current ones in relation to new ones. If it yielded (weakend) then it would be slightly longer.
                              Damn. You called that one. At least to what I was just recently informed of.

Comment

'93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Working...
                                X