No announcement yet.

SSMAccord : 1992 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you looked into the legend dust shields? I noticed them at the yard a few times and never thought about using them. Pleasure to cross paths with you

Comment

This car is too well sorted. I'm especially loving those taillights - those are modified red/clears, aren't they? Wish I could do something similar to the wagon's.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
        This car is too well sorted. I'm especially loving those taillights - those are modified red/clears, aren't they? Wish I could do something similar to the wagon's.
        Thanks! It is getting there, but it is definitely not without the unforeseen hurdle or two...

They are red clears with VHT transparent red applied to the clear area and then covered in protective film to prevent it from getting nicked.
        http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by mitsubishiv5 View Post
          Have you looked into the legend dust shields? I noticed them at the yard a few times and never thought about using them. Pleasure to cross paths with you
          That is where I got the idea. I was going to try to use the Legend setup by swapping the knuckles over, but I couldn't verify the balljoints would all work with the CB control arms. I think if you tried to use the Legend shields on a front mount setup, the shield would be blocking the caliper mounting ears.

Watching your rebuild come together is a good time.

Comment

It couldn't all be smooth sailing could it?

Since the CB had been the focus for several months of 2020, it was time to get the daily ready for the winter season. Being that my daily is coming up on 16 years old there were a few more dents and some rust starting to form on the rear quarters and such. Somehow this would spiral into doing extensive rust repair and respray. Since the CB was operational, everything was going to plan.

Of course, as soon as I was past the point of no return for the refinish job the CB decided to up the ante...

Sitting in traffic coming back from lunch one afternoon the CB just turned off without warning. I thought that was odd since I hadn't stalled the car and it was running normally up until that very moment. Trying to start it was futile and I managed to get it pushed into a nearby parking lot. Got a ride to my house to round up the usual suspects, a main relay, coil and a spare distributor and then set about seeing which of them would get this up and running.

Main relay? No dice.

Coil? Nope.

Distributor? Nah.

I did notice the rotor wasn't moving despite the cranking of the attempts to start the car. Uh oh... I managed to confirm that something was really broken in the timing side of the engine by pulling the valve cover. By this point the tow truck was in route anyhow. I managed to get it home and pushed off to a quiet corner of the driveway so that I could focus on getting the TL back together. After a few weeks that process was done and I was able to push the CB into the garage and kinda left it for a few weeks since it was the beginning of the holiday season.

But the CB was also in an inconvenient location in the garage and needed to be able to move under its own power. Thinking that the timing belt had snapped, I figured that I would tear it apart to start the process of taking the timing apart and pulling the head. As I put the impact gun on the crank shaft bolt, it spun off into my hand...that was odd.

Turns out I likely under torqued the crank bolt and it backed out enough to let the key slide out of the timing gears. Not a snapped belt or failed tensioner, but still bad. REMEMBER TO TORQUE THE CRANK BOLT TO 181 LB.FT + 90, thanks for listening to my TedTalk.

Since I needed to move the car, I figured I would at least get the timing back in sync and move the car the few feet it needed to move. After a bunch of internet horror stories of bent valves and sheared off crankbolts I knew what to expect. That said, I did buy a new crank bolt from Majestic.

The car started...without issue. No misfire. No stumble. No expensive, crunchy, clangy sounds. The car moved and it stowed for the winter. I may have the head serviced just to be safe, it may be that a burned valve might occur later. Hmmmm...
            Last edited by SSMAccord; 02-01-2021, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Hmmm but the crank bolt coming out + key can't affect timing. The timing belt is on another pulley under the cover. I had this happen to me too before but it just came out and rattled against the side of the engine bay (got stuck), sounded like a lawn mower was in my bay. Obviously the pulley key came out and the alternator / PS belts were not functioning, so the car shut off since the battery was dying. So maybe your alternator belt stopped, and you just drained the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                Hmmm but the crank bolt coming out + key can't affect timing. The timing belt is on another pulley under the cover. I had this happen to me too before but it just came out and rattled against the side of the engine bay (got stuck), sounded like a lawn mower was in my bay. Obviously the pulley key came out and the alternator / PS belts were not functioning, so the car shut off since the battery was dying. So maybe your alternator belt stopped, and you just drained the battery?
                At first glance it didn't look like anything was wrong other than the timing not spinning while trying to crank the engine over. It wasn't until I went to take the cover off that realized what happened. The key wasn't totally out, neither was the crank pulley. It was out just far enough that the inner timing gear was disengaged but the balance belt was moving in sequence.

Not my image, but this shows how the key engages the gears. The key locks the crank to the timing and balance gear and the pulley holds the key in compression when it it bolted in place. Mine came out just enough that the inner gear was disengaged. The key wasn't even bent, perhaps because I was at idle when it finally worked its way loose.

Comment

Ya, i see what you mean. wow, got lucky.

Comment

Working...
                  X