Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Official Photography Thread* (56k warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cb7wagonPL View Post
    nice shots j-spec. in the first one i would just try to get it leveled, other than that is great. in second i see where you could use that extra flash to kill those shadows.

here is just a snapshot of my new cell phone with my new D90. Need to get out and shoot more. Shitty weather sucks!

thanks, yeah the first shot i rotated to make the top of the garage level like an idiot... i should rotate it back hahaha.... and the first shot was one with a bounce umbrella and the other with a shoot through umbrella hence the lack of shadows on the first shot.... the second shot was bare head and i prefer the look of it, but i really do need to figure out how to kill those shadows.... this flash stuff is fun but it can be difficult to get it to do exactly what u want.

that D90 shot looks good.... more contrasty than the older sensors which i prefer. enjoy it man!

"Tucking tires and wires."
    The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
      thanks, yeah the first shot i rotated to make the top of the garage level like an idiot... i should rotate it back hahaha.... and the first shot was one with a bounce umbrella and the other with a shoot through umbrella hence the lack of shadows on the first shot.... the second shot was bare head and i prefer the look of it, but i really do need to figure out how to kill those shadows.... this flash stuff is fun but it can be difficult to get it to do exactly what u want.

that D90 shot looks good.... more contrasty than the older sensors which i prefer. enjoy it man!
      Thanks. You could maybe try a reflector to get rid of the shadows. I know they work pretty well for portraits and etc and are not too expensive but maybe would also help you bounce back some of that light to your subject.
      The CB9 has been reborn into a CB3
      Members Ride - see my cb3 here - DOHC powah
      Check out my JDM F22B swap
      Watch my CB7 video

Comment

ehh
        wat?

Comment

I think the shadows and lighting can all be tweaked. The background is what really ruins the pictures for me... but I'm pretty sure that's just your complex and you're not too worried about that right now.

Damn your car is clean by the way! By the way, did you get the wheel?

Edit: I noticed the second shot has a cooler white balance vs the first shot. You could use the bounce technique of the first shot with a cooler white balance to maybe achieve the same effect?
          Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post

ehh
            I'd be careful of too much JDM angle.

Comment

thanks!

no wheel. camera gear and travel stuff comes first unfortunately, the guy sold it before i could pony up the spare cash. yeah the background is the best i can do in my parking lot LOL! the car isnt quite ready to be on the road again... and i only had a few minutes to snap those while the sun was going down. it was beautiful here in chicago today.

speaking of which i went to the chicago south side irish parade today, not the normal st. patricks day parade, but the hardcore Irish drunk people parade.... im very irish and ive gone damn near every year of my life. anyways. i ramble too much. heres a few images.

thats my dad bringing my nephew over to the little person haha he was kinda nervous. his birthday is st. paddy's day he will be four this year.

the crazy crowd of drunk folks!

and last but not least.... my nephews bday party.

Logan Patrick hurley, i have a "slightly irish" family hahaha.... sorry for posting all my crap lol

The Chronicles.

Comment

[QUOTE=J-specCb4;1961094]thanks!

no wheel. camera gear and travel stuff comes first unfortunately, the guy sold it before i could pony up the spare cash. yeah the background is the best i can do in my parking lot LOL! the car isnt quite ready to be on the road again... and i only had a few minutes to snap those while the sun was going down. it was beautiful here in chicago today.

the crazy crowd of drunk folks!
                How did you blur the foreground like that? Focus in the distance and f/stop on the lower end?

Then these ones long focus range and f 2.8 or so? How high of an f stop do you need to achieve bokeh like that?

Where does that distortion come from? And how did you get such a soft feel?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions. I really liked this bunch though, because they are rather basic shots/occasions that you made look very interesting. nice.

Comment

thanks! the first one i just focused a bit further back in the crowd. it was at i believe at f5.6 on a 28-135 lens. remember depth of field is shortened by focal length as well as ur aperture. so the longer the lens the shorter the depth of field on similar aperture shots.

the second shot i believe again f5.6... same reasons as above.

the third shot the distortion comes from a realllllly wide 17mm on a full frame body. the softness is due to 2.8 and i desaturated the shot a bit to give it a more old feel. i really liked how that one came out.

The Chronicles.

Comment

thanks! the first one i just focused a bit further back in the crowd. it was at i believe at f5.6 on a 28-135 lens. remember depth of field is shortened by focal length as well as ur aperture. so the longer the lens the shorter the depth of field on similar aperture shots.

the second shot i believe again f5.6... same reasons as above.

the third shot the distortion comes from a realllllly wide 17mm on a full frame body. the softness is due to 2.8 and i desaturated the shot a bit to give it a more old feel. i really liked how that one came out.
                    Right, longer focal lenght plus higher f/stop = more bokeh. I see how that worked on teh second shot (I was unsure how high the f stop needed to be in order to create that much bokeh, however) but on the first show I would assume that "shortening the dof" would in fact make the front clear and the back blurry. I didn't know that it could work both ways.

And that last shot turned out awesome, makes me feel a little better knowing that I couldn't even achieve that perspective with an 18-55mm and d40.

Comment

thanks man. i feel like a jerk always posting a million images. i just am very enthusiastic about photography and the things its starting to bring me. the money is all secondary and its all fun when im working. but yeah dont get down on urself(in reply to the other thread) because i go through ups and downs and u dont realize u are growing till u shoot a LOT and look back at the old images and see what u have tweaked to make u happier with the images. i have soooo much to learn but its all fun doing it.

The Chronicles.

Comment

thanks man. i feel like a jerk always posting a million images. i just am very enthusiastic about photography and the things its starting to bring me. the money is all secondary and its all fun when im working. but yeah dont get down on urself(in reply to the other thread) because i go through ups and downs and u dont realize u are growing till u shoot a LOT and look back at the old images and see what u have tweaked to make u happier with the images. i have soooo much to learn but its all fun doing it.
                        Hey, at least people want to see your images, right! And, in reality, you don't post that many images. It's all good.

Yeah, very understandable. When I saw the pictures from your first car shoot I had some hope. No offense, as your first shoot was better than mine, but it did provide some inspiration.

I, and I'm sure others, appreciate the help.

Comment

dude... i still suck. ur images are sick. u always remember the little rules and stuff. like poles growing out of the roof of the car, and shooting with the sun to ur back and all that stuff...

The Chronicles.

Comment

dude... i still suck. ur images are sick. u always remember the little rules and stuff. like poles growing out of the roof of the car, and shooting with the sun to ur back and all that stuff...
                            Thanks bro. But I don't think you don't suck at all... and if you did then your hardcore scamming whoever pays you! In that case, good work. But seriously, there is always room to improve but you're shots definitely demonstrate a good amount of skill. More so since I know you don't edit your shit...

Enough of me being a woman. I'll let the thread go back to pictures!

I'm done with finals and am hoping to get out a lot over my next two weeks of break. I'm also borrowing a 55-200mm f/5.something to f/6.3. So it's a shit lens, but I'm still looking forward to something different.

Comment

Today's shenanigans.

Comment

I really like the feel of 1 and 5. 1 Might be almost overexposed, which definitely adds to the picture. Nice!

Do I spot a floating cell phone?

Oh, and that note makes me laugh.

Comment

Working...
                                X