Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Official Photography Thread* (56k warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he meant that in general, 90% of people choose close ups for senior portraits. That one pic he speaks of is an awesome pic, but not so much as a senior pic.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

but as a consumer dont you expect a photographer to give you several different angles, poses, and styles to choose from?

1999 Honda Prelude
      Photography Site

Comment

Originally posted by zelseman View Post
        but as a consumer dont you expect a photographer to give you several different angles, poses, and styles to choose from?
        Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just trying to be helpful.

As a freshman in college I just went through senior pictures within the last year so I thought I'd have some help.

As far as making someone look their best I just think that's an art. I don't know how it's done, and I don't really know if it's something that can be taught. I don't think I could do it so I'm not trying to insult you. I'm not sure, people are typically more worried about having their best smile than choosing the best picture from a photography standpoint.

And, I know that my parents very much wanted close ups, or images that were obviously highlighting my face. Personally, I didn't want senior pictures.

That last picture for example does show the girl but if you were, say, her grandma, and you wanted to see how your granddaughter was looking/doing this wouldn't really give you that.

I agree it's nice to have different options and such but in doing this make sure that the person pretty much fills the frame. At least in my opinion that's the most important in a senior picture. These aren't all about photographic creativity but mostly just capturing the person looking their best to show off to their friends and family. Making the picture interesting is just a bonus.

This is how I see senior pictures anyways...

I just looked back through them and had some more ideas.

Wallets are typically shot in portrait format. So more vertical shots might be helpful.

The picture aren't going to be printed huge typically so making sure the person is as big as possible in the frame is helpful I think.

And I still just find the flowers distracting from the person. But it's not a bad shot and it's pretty much up to discretion of the viewer/consumer to choose what they like. It's a great idea.
        Last edited by ilovemycb7; 04-13-2009, 01:05 AM.
        Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemycb7 View Post
          Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just trying to be helpful.

As a freshman in college I just went through senior pictures within the last year so I thought I'd have some help.

As far as making someone look their best I just think that's an art. I don't know how it's done, and I don't really know if it's something that can be taught. I don't think I could do it so I'm not trying to insult you. I'm not sure, people are typically more worried about having their best smile than choosing the best picture from a photography standpoint.

And, I know that my parents very much wanted close ups, or images that were obviously highlighting my face. Personally, I didn't want senior pictures.

That last picture for example does show the girl but if you were, say, her grandma, and you wanted to see how your granddaughter was looking/doing this wouldn't really give you that.

I agree it's nice to have different options and such but in doing this make sure that the person pretty much fills the frame. At least in my opinion that's the most important in a senior picture. These aren't all about photographic creativity but mostly just capturing the person looking their best to show off to their friends and family. Making the picture interesting is just a bonus.

This is how I see senior pictures anyways...

I just looked back through them and had some more ideas.

Wallets are typically shot in portrait format. So more vertical shots might be helpful.

The picture aren't going to be printed huge typically so making sure the person is as big as possible in the frame is helpful I think.

And I still just find the flowers distracting from the person. But it's not a bad shot and it's pretty much up to discretion of the viewer/consumer to choose what they like. It's a great idea.
          senior portraits are difficult because u have to decide whether or not u are going to shoot for the best possible image, or if u are going to shoot for what the consumer wants. even tho sometimes they dont know whats best, its in ur best interest to please the customer. that being said i think the portraits posted were very intimate, and walked the line they needed to to be successful. when people look at pics of themselves its always not going to look how they perceive themselves because when u look at urself in a mirror the image is backwards. that being said nice work.... i really like the detail in her eye in the close up.

"Tucking tires and wires."
          The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
            senior portraits are difficult because u have to decide whether or not u are going to shoot for the best possible image, or if u are going to shoot for what the consumer wants. even tho sometimes they dont know whats best, its in ur best interest to please the customer. that being said i think the portraits posted were very intimate, and walked the line they needed to to be successful. when people look at pics of themselves its always not going to look how they perceive themselves because when u look at urself in a mirror the image is backwards. that being said nice work.... i really like the detail in her eye in the close up.
            This is true. It's always up to the customer. Above is what I would look for. Who knows what the other people are looking for.

I mean they are good pictures, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that almost anyone wouldn't be pleased with those. I was simply giving my 2 cents.

Sorry... I just don't like 100% compliments I mean... what's the point of that.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
              Thanks. My #1 aim is to please the customer. Hopefully the customer will be pleased. We shall see.

Originally posted by ilovemycb7 View Post
              This is true. It's always up to the customer. Above is what I would look for. Who knows what the other people are looking for.

I mean they are good pictures, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that almost anyone wouldn't be pleased with those. I was simply giving my 2 cents.

Sorry... I just don't like 100% compliments I mean... what's the point of that.
              I see what you were trying to say, and quite a few of the other ones are closer oriented around their faces. I appreciate the critique. Thats how you get better right?

1999 Honda Prelude
              Photography Site

Comment

Ahhh, ready for the coming season!

Comment

Originally posted by zelseman View Post
                  Thanks. My #1 aim is to please the customer. Hopefully the customer will be pleased. We shall see.

I see what you were trying to say, and quite a few of the other ones are closer oriented around their faces. I appreciate the critique. Thats how you get better right?
                  Yeah, I was giving what I was personally looking for from senior pictures last year. Of course everyone is different.

And by personally I mean my parents. I still like that last B&W shot.

Oh and by capturing the person... it can be awkward especially if you don't know them so when I had mine taken it was this super weird lady that just tried to kinda get me laughing at her. So that's all I meant.

Good luck dude good way to make some extra money I'm sure.

Comment

I like the first one f22hb.

Comment

Thanks, the other two I took planning to photoshop graphics/sponsors onto.

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB View Post
                        Thanks, the other two I took planning to photoshop graphics/sponsors onto.
                        I can't decide if I lke the door open or closed on the first one. I would have tried to take it at 18mm for the greatest wide angle effect. Not sure if that is it's kinda hard to tell since it's not really a super wide angle lens.

It looks close or at 18mm though.

Comment

Its the kit 18-55mm and I was all the way at 18. The door was open because we were working in the trailer, I just saw the car sitting there and had to take some pictures of it. It was far from a photoshoot lol.

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB View Post
                            Its the kit 18-55mm and I was all the way at 18. The door was open because we were working in the trailer, I just saw the car sitting there and had to take some pictures of it. It was far from a photoshoot lol.
                            Twas my assumption.

Turned out cool though.

Comment

Some pics from the track, off my gallery.

Comment

Bleh

The New-ish Ride
                                My old Ride
                                Hear my Vtak!!!
                                MK3 Member #3
                                I piss off people for fun.
                                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                                X