Moving out of state, leaving CB behind :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm lemme work this out here.

That's 2500 miles, my phone says its a 40 hour drive.
    I'll guess and say I'd spend about $350 on gas? Quick math isn't my strong suite.
    Would prefer to sleep in my car but expect that wherever I end up needing to sleep would be cold and difficult to do that in. So if I have to rent a room for just one night I expect another $75-100 a night if somewhere nearby allows pets.
    I think 3 days worth of driving I could get by pretty cheap for food, would just go for fast food likely.
    For a drive like this I could probably use new tires, mine are in decent shape but at a close glance I'm seeing the sidewalls are now starting to crack.
    Also need to get my enhanced drivers license to get through Canada.

Now that I am planning on moving out of state so soon I wont be able to get another unemployment check.
    I just sold one of my toolboxes and have probably another $100-200 worth of things I can sell that I don't need.
    I have $500 at the moment.

I can probably do it. But I can't think of what I would do if I broke down. I would be pretty screwed.

RIP my last two CB7s.
    New rides:
    '82 Volvo 245 drift project
    '87 Volvo 244 daily
    Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Get out there and take it easy, you'll be fine. Take periodic breaks and check the fluids. As the old timer saying goes, any old piece of shit will make it across the country if you don't get out there and push it. Thing is, you don't have an old piece of shit, you have a Honda Accord. One of if not the most dependable vehicle on the planet.

Sleeping in your car along the way isn't a big deal. In all honesty you may find yourself doing more of it before long. But it beats a bench in the city park. Which without a car is where you'd be.

If you get rid of your car your shooting yourself in the foot. Your closing so many doors by getting rid of it. And right now you need every door open you can get. You can't afford to close doors.

One thing I picked up on is you might have a job and you mentioned a few weeks as for the time period in which you are likely to stay once you reach your destination. On top of relying on Craigslist to find another place. All that tells me there is so much uncertainty that it's not even funny. Not to mention a given time limit with no sure way to make money. Those two don't go well together.

It's none of my business, any of it. If I'm out of line by all means tell me to shut up. But this is coming from someone who's lived in their car before. Not long, a couple months. And due to me being an idiot. But still, I've been there. I cannot help but feel for others whom I see in the same or similar place. Honestly I'd never go back in time to relive it for anything. But life was on the up and up from there as it's likely to be for you as well. A new direction on a fresh foundation is a great place to build a new life. Might as well start it out with more rather then less. It'll only get you where you want to be faster. I wish you luck man. You got this.

Comment

Well for one I must say I really do love this community. So many good people on this forum. Gotten a lot of good feedback like this when most people would just post TL;DR and move on.
        You certainly aren't out of line Hellraisin.

I have found a place to stay already on Craigslist but would need the money from selling the CB to move in. Once I get there sleeping in my car wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if i had the CB instead.

I have also since decided that I am taking my dog regardless of flying or driving.

RIP my last two CB7s.
        New rides:
        '87 Volvo 244 daily
        Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheFunk View Post
          I have also since decided that I am taking my dog regardless of flying or driving.
          Just an FYI, apparently airlines will not take animals if the destination is like 80 or higher. My mom is moving from WA to AL and the airlines denied us taking the dogs aboard so I will be driving them to the new destination.

But good luck to you and hopefuly things turn out well.
          Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

You might try to find CB7tuner members along your route and/or near your final destination and ask if they'd put you up for a night. I've had a member stay here on his cross country trip; ulterior motive was swapping some parts - it worked out for both of us.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I'm glad you are turning from the idea of leaving your dog and CB behind. Your dog, followed by the CB, will be the two greatest companions on such a solo journey. Like Josh said, you need to keep all the doors open that you possibly can.

This will be one of those monumental adventures in your life. Your dog, your trusty CB, and the open Canadian countryside. If you have data service, you can check in with us along the way. Just change the title of this thread .
              *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
              ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
              ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
              "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
              Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
              The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
              Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Only question your dog poses is say things get tough and you have to leave him in the car while your at work. That can be worked around and a solution can be made I'm sure. Just asking that question ahead of time. With your dog you won't be alone. And regardless of circumstance he will always love you and be happy just being with you.

I was about to say, af_1132 is right on the money about keeping us posted and let us know how your doing along the way. And while your at your destination as well.

And remember, you may never experience purer freedom then you will on this journey. So try and take in all you can.
                Last edited by H311RA151N; 03-26-2015, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys. No idea how much it means to me to have the support.

I have blown off all offers I have gotten on the car in the past week. This thread has really been making me want to lean more towards taking the car.

I have a lot of decisions to make in the next few days... But if I can scrape together a little bit more cash I might go with the advice of the forum.
                  It would certainly be an adventure, which I'm all for. It's just the risks I'm hung up on.

RIP my last two CB7s.
                  New rides:
                  '87 Volvo 244 daily
                  Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

A few pointers for your trip coming from someone that drives to Texas and back from Washington DC once a year. None of my CBs have left me stranded and recently I drove the EJ1 and was towing a trailer back.

Things needed for emergencies, basic tools, stick of jb weld, oil, tranny fluid, coolant, good spare, jack and tools to remove tire.

Go to a Dollar store and get some baby powder and baby wipes, they come in handy. Get granola, peanuts and as many healthy snacks as possible. If you have one of those big ass Bubba plastic cups, you will save on coffee and beverages. Refills are cheaper than buying outright. At least one case of water. Try to stay away from greasy foods, as they will tend to make you sleepy. I never get energy drinks for road trips because they don't work.

Now for sleeping. Head over to a Salvation Army or thrift store. You will need 3 blankets. One for the dog and two for you. Always sleep with one blanket under you and another to cover you. A small pillow does wonders.

As for clothing, just make sure to have a change of undies and socks for every 12 hours on the road. I usally change and wipe down every other gas stop and use lots of baby powder.

As for when to sleep, I sleep in the car and do it when I need to. I have even slept like 4 hours and then head down the road and noticed I was still tired. When that happens, I sleep some more. The key is to take cat knaps and sleep longer when needed.

Ok, now back to the car. Get over to a Mr Tire, Midas etc and have them do a free inspection of the car. Just mention you are taking a road trip. Don't give details of your situation or finances. Take the printout and leave. Based on the printout, you can actually see what needs to be done. Travel light and you should be good.

Things I would change on car: oil and filter, spark plugs, cap and rotor, and tires. Check coolant and all bulbs.

Hope this helps some. Good luck and keep us posted.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                    JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

I know what you did.

I'm guessing that means you didn't take your dog.
                      *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                      ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                      ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                      "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                      The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                      Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

No Franklin is with me!

I know my old CB is in good hands this time, unlike my first CB. In good time I will have another.

RIP my last two CB7s.
                        New rides:
                        '87 Volvo 244 daily
                        Born2DieApparel.com

Comment

Working...
                        X