Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving with cell phones

So here are the different scenarios I see these days:

1.- People driving while talking on the phone (bad / illegal)
    2. - People driving while holding their phone on speaker phone (illegal)
    3. - People driving while using their car's bluetooth phone system (legal)
    4. - People driving while using a bluetooth ear piece (legal)

5.- People texing while driving (very bad/ illegal)

What bugs me about the texting is that Chevy just announced a car that you select the reply message on the touch screen when a text is received. Not sure how this is better than texting as you can scroll down on the touch screen to select different messages.

My work does not allow 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 to be done while on company property.

But what's the big deal between using your in-car bluetooth "hands free" and putting your phone on speaker and setting it on the dash or on your leg.

In my province in Canada they increased the fine for using a phone while driving. Its now 10 points off your license and up to $500+ in fines. But they do not state what "using the cell phones" implies. Example: I play music on my phone through the car stereo. Not much difference between looking for a song to play on my phone or texting.

"Currently, fines range from $176.45 for a first offence to $348.95 for a third offence or subsequent occurrences. As of February 1, 2015, the fines will increase to $233.95 for a first offence to $578.95 for a third offence with the addition of four demerit points on conviction."

And IMO, usually the people who cannot operate a device while driving are the same people who shouldn't operate anything while driving (radio, drink, eating, etc.) Truck drivers use radios, cabs use radios, police use radios and laptops, and everyone uses electronic devices in their cars (radio, cds, music, GPS, etc). It's those bad drivers who cannot multitask who should simply keep their hands on the wheels at all times and focus on the road. The area you live also plays a role. Back country road with no-one around for 10 miles compared to busy city where there is always traffic.
    Baffles me when I hear stories of someone who hit a guy on a bicycle because he was texting. My response is "WHY are you texing in traffic or around bicycles???" Or the girl who died in a car accident while taking a selfie

IMO, like changing the radio, using GPS, eating food, you should only perform cell phone tasks when it is safe to do so. Obviously some are too stupid to know when it is safe to do such things which ruins it for everyone.

Your thoughts?

Should it all be banned?
    Should I be able to text when there are no other cars around and I can only injure myself?
    Should we be able to use bluetooth in the car for calls / texting?

I agree with the use of blue tooth and hands free. Never used the text feature... I always wait till I get to where I'm going to check text messages anyway. I sync my cell phone to my radio and scroll/skip through my play list with my stereo buttons. No need to look down at the cell phone. I would not consider this a use of an electronic device. My touch screen is disabled while the car is moving and my hands fee call features are all on my steering wheel.

Hand help/laptop device usage should all be banned.... No matter where you live.

It's just harder to police the back roads though..... Not sure about NS, but here in NB there aren't many cops patrolling the back roads. In saying that, reception usually isn't the best and you need both hands on the wheel to avoid all the pot holes...lol
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

It would be great if you could leave public safety up to the user. However, it is usually the mature driver that would ere on the side of caution and wear the seat belt and not use there cell phone. Only in turn to be hit head on by someone who decided to text.

The stats don't lie. Cell phone users don't make the right decisions, therefore laws have to be passed to protect the rest of us at all times. Just because you didn't put yourself in the ditch or hit someone else the first 10-100 times you text while driving doesn't make you any safer! Stats don't lie.... it's not safe at any speed or on any road.
      Last edited by GhostAccord; 05-22-2015, 03:00 PM.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I think "hands free" and "on public roads" is the motto which can be logically enforced. If you are physically touching your phone for any reason while driving on any public road, you are in violation of the law which is there to protect other motorists from your distracted state. That is my opinion of a logical means of creating cell phone driving laws.

If you add exceptions, such as location, and proximity of other vehicles, and certain phone functions, you add subjective judgment that everyone can argue. That could turn into a logistical nightmare rather quickly.
        Last edited by af_1132; 05-22-2015, 03:10 PM.
        *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
        ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
        ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
        "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
        The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
        Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

I spent $125 on a high-end bluetooth earpiece, and I have a couple of $30 backup pieces, all in my work car.

Last July, the penalties in New Jersey skyrocketed for getting caught on your phone without some form of hands-free device.

For a first offense, the fine shall be between $200 and $400.
          For a second offense, the fine shall be between $400 and $600.
          For a third or subsequent cell phone ticket violation, the fine shall be between $600 and $800, and a 90 day loss of license.

That's right. You can lose your license for being on your phone, just like you would if you were caught over the legal blood-alcohol limit! Old offenses stay on the books for 10 years. So if you get caught today, and you get caught again in April, 2024... you'll be slapped with a 2nd offense.

As many of you know, I drive for a living. I can spend up to 15 hours a day behind the wheel. I use my phone for music and audiobooks while driving, and I also use a spreadsheet app to enter information pertaining to my work (when stopped, of course.) I keep the phone on my passenger seat.
          Last August, weeks after the new law went into effect, I was on the highway, and got cut off by some jerk in an SUV (probably on his phone... ) and had to slam on the brakes. My phone went tumbling to the floor, striking my power inverter as it landed. Of course, I panicked, since my uninsured iPhone 5s would be rather expensive to replace! Once I got off the highway, I pulled my phone up by the charging cable and tried to turn it back on. I held it up so I could see the screen come on without taking my eyes off the road. Stupid, yes... but I was distraught. A cop saw me, holding my phone up in the air. Pulled me over, commented on how my screen was on and on my "settings" page (my ebay settings... because I had checked ebay during my lunch break 20 minutes prior...) I explained to him that I wasn't using the phone. Simply holding it to see if it turned on. He said "you were on your phone"... issued me a ticket with a mandatory court appearance (2.5 hours from my house!)... I went to court twice to plead my case. The judge took pity on me, understanding my situation, but claimed he feared setting a dangerous precedent by allowing such a thing... so he gave me the bare minimum fine, and eliminated the court fees (though it turned out that he couldn't actually do that...). A nice gesture, but it still cost me about $250 total, not to mention the $30 in tolls, $60 in fuel, and 3-4 hours of my life I spent fighting that ticket.

However, do I agree with the law? Absolutely. Well... almost absolutely. I agree that distracted driving is dangerous, as I see distracted drivers doing dangerous stuff on a daily basis. Still, people are going to do whatever they can to circumvent the law... such as putting their phones on speaker and putting them on their leg or dashboard... then chasing them down into the footwell when they slide off...
          Hell, when I get a call and go to answer via my bluetooth device, half the time I nearly crash just trying to find the damn thing!

I kinda miss the pre-cellphone days of driving.

Comment

You miss the days of the suitcase phone in the center console Deev? I had one of those laying around for years after they cut off the service.

Anyway, like Deev, my previous job had me driving all day everyday, sometimes pulling a trailer with up to 15klbs on it. I never text and drive, if I get a call, normally I'll put it on speaker and set it down. But using the phone is not illeagal here, just texting. But like op said some people just cannot handle multi tasking or maybe they have an add problem and they should not do anything while driving, other than paying attention to the road.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

The unfortunate thing is that people are going to do it anyway. I see at least a dozen a day while at work, and those are just the ones I notice! Half of them are often doing something stupid. I almost got mowed down by a lady the other day that pulled out of the driveway of her million-dollar home in her supercharged G55 AMG while talking on her phone. She couldn't bother finishing her call before leaving her house!
              The laws are good, but they don't stop it. In some ways, they encourage people to do even more absurd things to avoid detection!

Comment

Calling is actual legal here in OH if 18 and older. But I have been in a few close calls with many idiots on their phones trying to merge into me and I am for it being illegal.
                Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

I can't even tell you the number of times I see people on the highway (I75/85, I285, I20) going at least 90 mph with a phone in their hand. It's ridiculous. I'm not innocent by any means, but it's a constant thing with some of these drivers.

I usually just tuck my phone nicely in the center console pocket and go on about my life. I don't "need" to check my phone every 5 minutes. Plus I have to watch out and react to these other idiots on the road.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                    I can't even tell you the number of times I see people on the highway (I75/85, I285, I20) going at least 90 mph with a phone in their hand. It's ridiculous. I'm not innocent by any means, but it's a constant thing with some of these drivers.

I usually just tuck my phone nicely in the center console pocket and go on about my life. I don't "need" to check my phone every 5 minutes. Plus I have to watch out and react to these other idiots on the road.
                    We need a Facebook "like" thing on here!

Comment

In NYC, the penalty for "any electronic device in your hands" is a whopping five points + $150 thanks to our beloved mayor. I do text when I drive despite the harsh penalty. I'm young and my insurance rates would most definitely sky rocket, but I still text and drive
                      Originally posted by cb7dazz
                      And you're english is much better than some people on this board and it's their primary language.
                      Originally posted by Jarrett
                      ...for example

Comment

My question is, what is so f#@king important that it can't wait a few minutes? My phone very rarely leaves my pocket while I am driving........ love blue tooth!
                        MR Thread
                        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I actually zip tied a rubber doorstop to my steering wheel, then put a piece of velcro on it. Put the other half of the velcro on a cheapie plastic case I bought (which made me remove the Princess Bride case that my girl got me ) so I can stick the phone to the steering wheel. That way, I can speak into my phone to reply to texts. It works quite well.

Comment

Isn't this like with every law? There's always one dipshit who messes it up for everybody else so its made so that nobody can do it. I mean, we're all guilty of it. I don't text and drive anymore.. Lost too many friends to dumb shit that could have been prevented.

And I agree about people who already have half a brain should not drive to begin with. There should be an IQ test, along with a few reaction tests for the select few, and the elderly. This MONTH alone, I have been backed into 4 times by old men. I've told all of them what happened, they ignore me, and proceed to drive off like nothing ever happened.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              I actually zip tied a rubber doorstop to my steering wheel, then put a piece of velcro on it. Put the other half of the velcro on a cheapie plastic case I bought (which made me remove the Princess Bride case that my girl got me ) so I can stick the phone to the steering wheel. That way, I can speak into my phone to reply to texts. It works quite well.
                              lol! someone is going to get a picture of you doing that and caption it! I can see it now...

But back to the topic. So stereo's support a mp3 jack, which you connect to a mp3 device, or in this day, your phone! I use my phone for music all the time in the cb7. Now when I'm switching songs, I'm pushing a button on my phone. Same thing I would have to do if I had the OEM stereo in. Yet, I'm technically using my phone. Same thing Dev did.

Comment

Working...
                              X