No announcement yet.

LosiRacer2 : 1993 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been there quite a few times. Let me know next time you're there. I'd love to see your ride.

Comment

A Couple of RSR EX Mag Exhaust vids

Exhaust Rev

Cruising

Full Throttle Acceleration

3K Launch

member's ride thread
      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
      91 Accord SE 176k
      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

How difficult was it to do your ABS delete with the motor in the car?
        The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
          How difficult was it to do your ABS delete with the motor in the car?
          not that difficult, just putting in the new NonABS hardline was the hardest part. I snipped all the old ABS lines off the firewall when removing to make it more manageable.

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Current new exhaust setup:

2008 Civic Si muffler and resonator with 2.25" piping from Cat back...still getting broken in just came back from muffler shop. I'll take some flyby vids later tonight

member's ride thread
            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
              Exhaust Rev

Cruising

Full Throttle Acceleration

3K Launch
              Interesting. Yours sounds a bit deeper than mine, but gurgles, chugs and spits a lot more. I suppose some of it has to do with the higher mileage on mine, and the fact that it is 2.5" all the way through.

Current new exhaust setup:

2008 Civic Si muffler and resonator with 2.25" piping from Cat back...still getting broken in just came back from muffler shop. I'll take some flyby vids later tonight

Volume wise, how is the new setup compared to the old one? It is always so hard to tell on camera, but this one sounds quite a bit raspier than the RS*R did. Can you get more of a side angle shot and see of that helps?
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                Interesting. Yours sounds a bit deeper than mine, but gurgles, chugs and spits a lot more. I suppose some of it has to do with the higher mileage on mine, and the fact that it is 2.5" all the way through.

Volume wise, how is the new setup compared to the old one? It is always so hard to tell on camera, but this one sounds quite a bit raspier than the RS*R did. Can you get more of a side angle shot and see of that helps?
                yeah the new Si is a bit raspier, but only when cold, so after about 5 min of driving, it sounds a lot cleaner. The muffler is only 12" vs 19.5" for the RSR but the Si's resonator is FAR bigger in diameter and when you tap on the sides, almost sounds like a muffler (harder packed sound vs tinny sound of a resonator). But on the highway, this thing is A LOT quieter than the RSR. Probably due to the resonator being so beefy. I feel a good amount more low end torque also when I first take off. Idk if thats from the RSR being a chambered muffler or not?

It weighs considerably less too. I just weighed the RSR and it comes in at 41lbs for both muffler and B pipe. The Si is probably 30ish.

I'll try and see if I can do some shots like I did for the RSR last night. But all in all not bad for a 210 dollar investment installed.

Here's some new shots of my current setup though:

2.25" piping, using the 08' Civic Si Muffler and Resonator. I had them cut close to the resonator's inlet and outlet and enlarge it from 2" to 2.25 where it tapered on either side and cut off the restrictive 50mm flange on the axle back portion of the muffler to open that up to 2.25" all the way back.

Size Comparison 12" vs 19.5"

RSR

Civic 5" dia. Resonator, 16" long, pretty good size

2.25" tubing

My front Collector mod done to my Greddy Header to 2.5" high flow cat

Guy didn't speak a word of English but he knew what he was doing

Final Setup. Its one piece from the Cat. back, so I better not have to take this thing off lol
                Last edited by Losiracer2; 08-15-2017, 04:08 AM.

member's ride thread
                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Those don't look like mandrel bent 90's. It's definitely compression bent.

Purchased From: busak87, GunRunner, Bruce Banner, Itstatcb7kid707, tJoods, DannyD

The Caravan 2015
                  MRT:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=180919

Comment

Originally posted by SanJoCaF22DrAcc View Post
                    was gonna say the same thing, loooks good tho

Comment

Originally posted by SanJoCaF22DrAcc View Post
                      yeah, i guess you're right. Can't be that much of a restriction though. Maybe this is why i have a little more low end torque? Looks like its only sacrificing about a .25" on the inside part of the exhaust from my estimate. I don't see any ripples so its not as bad as it could be. So I guess the different stages are crush bent, compression bent and mandrel bent? Mandrel bending probably would have doubled my labor cost but I doubt it was an option, Apache Muffler in Mesa looked like a 2 man operation, very small shop.

Regardless, car feels a lot more torquey especially in first gear which is a definite plus.
                      Last edited by Losiracer2; 03-13-2012, 02:14 AM.

member's ride thread
                      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

yeah oh well, 57.4mm OD where its not bent and 50.8mm where it is bent. So it goes down about .25" in the bends.

member's ride thread
                        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

yeah the new Si is a bit raspier, but only when cold, so after about 5 min of driving, it sounds a lot cleaner. The muffler is only 12" vs 19.5" for the RSR but the Si's resonator is FAR bigger in diameter and when you tap on the sides, almost sounds like a muffler (harder packed sound vs tinny sound of a resonator). But on the highway, this thing is A LOT quieter than the RSR. Probably due to the resonator being so beefy. I feel a good amount more low end torque also when I first take off. Idk if thats from the RSR being a chambered muffler or not?

It weighs considerably less too. I just weighed the RSR and it comes in at 41lbs for both muffler and B pipe. The Si is probably 30ish.

I'll try and see if I can do some shots like I did for the RSR last night. But all in all not bad for a 210 dollar investment installed.

Here's some new shots of my current setup though:

2.25" piping, using the 08' Civic Si Muffler and Resonator. I had them cut close to the resonator's inlet and outlet and enlarge it from 2" to 2.25 where it tapered on either side and cut off the restrictive 50mm flange on the axle back portion of the muffler to open that up to 2.25" all the way back.

Size Comparison 12" vs 19.5"

RSR

Civic 5" dia. Resonator, 16" long, pretty good size

2.25" tubing

My front Collector mod done to my Greddy Header to 2.5" high flow cat

Guy didn't speak a word of English but he knew what he was doing

Final Setup. Its one piece from the Cat. back, so I better not have to take this thing off lol
                          Unless RSR has changed something between mine and yours, the muffler is perforated, not chambered. Also, the Si's resonator is definitely larger than the RS*R's, but I don't think my RS*R is really any louder than the Si's. You can hear both faintly in the car on the highway. Of course, moving the location and changing the piping can change all that too.

I would be interested in the videos, as the only other video I have seen was the one on Youtube. It would be good to have some driving videos once it is warmed up. This is a pretty popular mod on most Honda's since Honda did a good job of balancing sound and flow.

It is possible it flows better than the other muffler since the piping is about the same diameter. Also, some of the perception of additional torque may be from the reduced noise level, which gives the perception that the car is faster. Either way, I know for a fact that the Si system flows well. You have to go 2.75-3" to get a notably better flowing system. Even then, it is usually about 8-10HP max. I have been pondering keeping mine stock with a race header, for a good compromise of sound and performance. Also, just FYI, there are some reports of the mufflers failing prematurely when the rest of the exhaust it opened up. I don't think it will be an issue for you since you still have a cat on there, but most of the SI headers remove the cat, and there were a number of reports of the muffler packing failing and getting noisy due to the increased stress on the muffler. Probably won't be an issue, just something to watch out for.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                            Unless RSR has changed something between mine and yours, the muffler is perforated, not chambered. Also, the Si's resonator is definitely larger than the RS*R's, but I don't think my RS*R is really any louder than the Si's. You can hear both faintly in the car on the highway. Of course, moving the location and changing the piping can change all that too.

I would be interested in the videos, as the only other video I have seen was the one on Youtube. It would be good to have some driving videos once it is warmed up. This is a pretty popular mod on most Honda's since Honda did a good job of balancing sound and flow.

It is possible it flows better than the other muffler since the piping is about the same diameter. Also, some of the perception of additional torque may be from the reduced noise level, which gives the perception that the car is faster. Either way, I know for a fact that the Si system flows well. You have to go 2.75-3" to get a notably better flowing system. Even then, it is usually about 8-10HP max. I have been pondering keeping mine stock with a race header, for a good compromise of sound and performance. Also, just FYI, there are some reports of the mufflers failing prematurely when the rest of the exhaust it opened up. I don't think it will be an issue for you since you still have a cat on there, but most of the SI headers remove the cat, and there were a number of reports of the muffler packing failing and getting noisy due to the increased stress on the muffler. Probably won't be an issue, just something to watch out for.
                            I bought it from a guy on AZHT, his car had 49k miles on it, so hopefully it didn't suffer too much abuse. He wasn't a punk kid like most of them on AZHT are. Very adult with a wife/kids. I talked to him for about 2 hrs that night about all different generations of Hondas lol. I think he basically just did a Hondata tune on his car, nothing fancy. He knew Joe @ Locash personally and even one of my professors at ASU that does all the CNCing for Joe that worked at Hasport prior.

member's ride thread
                            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

The restriction caused by the compression bent plumbing is definitely why you have more low end torque. The reduced plumbing adds more back pressure.

It's a clean job there is no argument there. Most shops do not have the machinery to do mandrel bends. The OEM exhaust is 2" with compression bends so you can imagine how restricting it is when you start to modify other components. Even the OEM header is compression bent. My current exhaust is 2" but mandrel bent. Figure it would be since DC sold it as a 50 state legal cat back as well as the header. OEM diameter just stainless with mandrel bends.

When I re-do my exhaust, I am going to purchase pre-mandrel bent stainless pipes from Kteller. That will allow me to piece together my whole exhaust. I am still going to keep my current set up for smog purposes.

Purchased From: busak87, GunRunner, Bruce Banner, Itstatcb7kid707, tJoods, DannyD

The Caravan 2015
                              MRT:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=180919

Comment

08' Civic Si Muffler and Resonator

I got the night vids of it just now:

Cruising vid with a couple hard pulls

Exhaust Rev and Launch

member's ride thread
                                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Working...
                                X