Grumpys93 : 1993 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grumpys93

To store the vehicle (I had to do this when I moved to Wisconsin and car would sit about 6 months through winter)
    I jacked up the vehicle on all 4, left a battery tender (found out I needed this after the first year)
    I also used Sta-Bil in the fuel before filing up to ensure it makes and mixes with fuel.
    I also added some oil to the upper cylinder (remove spark plugs, pour in and reinstall all) Just to ensure it doesnt go dry in there while its sitting.

I do start it once a month just to ensure if there is any condensation build up inside, it doesnt rust and seize any thing.

MRT

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys. I plan to do everything mentioned above, except start it once a month.

On a sad note, I went to go for a drive yesterday and I believe the throw out bearing has gone out on me. It was making high pitch noises for a while and now its more of a clunking. But when I tried to put it in gear it would not budge. Then when I tried to start the car with the clutch in and it in gear it would lunge forward and stall. So it looks like I will be pulling the motor, but that wont happen until I get back from deployment next fall.

I hate dropping the transmission the most out of everything I have done to the car, and would rather pull the whole motor. But looks like Freedom won't be moving anywhere any time soon. I have to say I am shocked the Throwout went out so soon. Its a timken throw out bearing and only has maybe 5k miles on it. But it is no mistaking that its the throw out bearing with the noise its making
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

That is sad, but for a min I thought you meant crank bearing. You should just go with OEM next time. But hey, can't you put a rod in where the bearing is and force it? (through the clutch slave cylinder boot hole) You're thinking the bearing isn't releasing the clutch on the shaft / not sliding? And I agree with you. If I have the tools I refuse to try and drop the trans out the bottom. Super Not Fun with the H22! Never again! But I will also admit getting the engine out the top is equally a PITA. ... now I remove the IACV (so it doesn't hit the firewall), the crank pulley, and it still takes the special twisting / turning to get it down there & at a stupid angle. Helps if the hood is off of course & the intake plenum too. & stupid stuff like the engine lift legs hitting the jack stands... , so what's the plan?

Comment

Wow, that does suck. But I agree with both of your sentiments, dropping the trans is waaay too much hassle when the engine can just be taken out.
          http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Raf, I’m not 100% sure. You’re the trans guru, I haven’t torn one apart yet. So I’ll explain what it’s doing.

If I start the car in neutral it starts and idles fine. I push the clutch in, try to put it in any gear and it doesn’t budge. Almost like I’m not pushing in the clutch.

If I turn off the motor and put it in gear then try to start it. Even with the clutch in, it lunges forward as if I didn’t have the clutch pushed in or in neutral.

When the motor warms up it starts to make a high pitch metal sound until I push the clutch in, then the sound goes away. Take foot off the clutch sound comes back. Though it turned into a clanking noise now.

I have adjusted the engagement point both full to the right and full to the left with no change.

The master/slave cylinders are newer then the throw out bearing, there is no fluid leaking from either and I deleted the dampener a while ago.
            ~Nick~
            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

Ya, same thing happened in the TSX I use to own maybe...

1. Is the slave cylinder moving (on the trans) when you push the pedal? & the rocker arm going into the trans?

I'm assuming yes. Have you looked in there / take a pic ?
              If all is moving but you can't dis-engage the clutch then ya fingies is a brokens, or clutch plate bolts came loose. The bearing coming completely apart would have this affect too. It would have tons of play and the sound too! Got a boroscope thingie ? Put it in this hole...

Click image for larger version

Name:	2913479388_cb0f9a2954.jpg?v=0.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	4983164

Comment

So slave/rod moves back and forth as it should, with full extension and retraction. I just ordered a borescope and it should get here Wednesday. I’ll take a look in there and see what I can see.

fingies I’m assuming you are referring to are the pressure place fingers?

Also would any of these happen instantly or gradually? Because last time I drove the car I had no issues except the high pitch noise whenever the clutch pedal was not pushed in? Then after sitting for a month it all of a sudden starting acting like this. Didn’t have issues shifting into gear at all prior to this.

Also I noticed with the high pitch noise, before if I jiggled the shift lever(fork) on the slave the noise would go away.
                Last edited by Grumpys93; 11-27-2022, 02:48 AM.
                ~Nick~

Comment

Ya. pressure plate fingers. I think you're right & you are going to see the release bearing has so much play that the bearings are really lose (giving you the sound) and so much play that it can't release the clutch from the flywheel.
                  I've never looked in that hole, but i always wondered if you could put something in there and help pull the bearing back. Probably not enough room maybe. It's also too bad you can't get the trans off far enough to put one in there.
                  Ever think of taking off the intake manifold / and exhaust and dropping the engine on the floor to do this work? (only works if both intake and exhaust manifolds are off)

Good luck. What release bearing you going to go with?

Comment

I have tried going through the bottom as I wouldn’t know how to life the car up high enough to get the motor out.

I plan to go OEM but I see there are 2 brands Fuji and Koyo. Koyo is $20 more but I’m not sure why? Any input?

https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...clutch-housing
                    ~Nick~

Comment

.... input = buy expensive. Not sure why the different brands, but most likely the higher price = better quality. (most the time :P ) Can't remember the original OEM manufacture name.

Comment

Working...
                      X