CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > Members' Rides

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.69 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #2241
SOHC-FTW
CB7tuner Member

SOHC-FTW seems to have made some friends!
Just a friendly tip on that finish one over reduce the first and second coat with a medium or slow reducer by atleast one part or so. You can reduce your final coat as well it gives a better result lays better and less likely hood of runs and puddles seems to also give less dry back when you do so if you lay it right. It's a cheaper clear but I've had decent results with it in the past.
Lay the first coat light an tacky and the following medium tacky, If that's a fast Hardner you may get away with it on a bay or jams but I prefer medium harder depends on the temperature really but I stick with slow or medium for hardner and reducers.
Best of luck to ya take your time and watch how you hold your gun remember to overlap evenly, never flick the wrist and to let your finger adjust the trigger at the end of panel and arches.

02 Crv
02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.
SOHC-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #2242
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
Man, you are brave my friend. Diy paint & body. I can turn a wrench any day but what you’re doing would scare me off easy. “Got your shittin pants on?” ~ Negan

From the looks of the engine bay so far I’m sure you’ll do well.
Thanks man. If I can do it, you can do it. Before this winter I didn't know any of this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
Just a friendly tip on that finish one over reduce the first and second coat with a medium or slow reducer by atleast one part or so. You can reduce your final coat as well it gives a better result lays better and less likely hood of runs and puddles seems to also give less dry back when you do so if you lay it right. It's a cheaper clear but I've had decent results with it in the past.
Lay the first coat light an tacky and the following medium tacky, If that's a fast Hardner you may get away with it on a bay or jams but I prefer medium harder depends on the temperature really but I stick with slow or medium for hardner and reducers.
Best of luck to ya take your time and watch how you hold your gun remember to overlap evenly, never flick the wrist and to let your finger adjust the trigger at the end of panel and arches.
Ok. I'm taking notes from this video and going to try to follow it the best i can.
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #2243
Raf99
Gold Member

WOW.......... I ahhhhhhh wow.

I didn't think it would turn out this good.......... (and this is before buffing)

Old 04-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #2244
GhostAccord
CB7tuner Member

GhostAccord seems to have made some friends! GhostAccord seems to have made some friends!
Results lie in the attention to detail.... and you definitely nailed the details on this one. Looking to do another...lol

by Chappy, on Flickr
GhostAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:05 AM   #2245
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

NH-503P-3 is cool... so far.
That is damn gorgeous. Nice job!

~Mark~
NH-503P-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:33 AM   #2246
aleks77
CB7tuner Member

aleks77 is cool... so far.
Looking good, reminds me of years back when i was doing my shave and respray!

Cant wait to see the finished product.

Member's Ride Page | Video of my CB7, Open Downpipe peelout
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyDilJoe View Post
This is the sickest fucking thing I've seen in awhile CB-wise...I absolutely love it.
aleks77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #2247
Raf99
Gold Member

Thanks all. Pictures don't really do it justice on here.

Now to tackle this thing........

The only thing i found wrong was this small leak...

Besides cleaning the engine and maybe painting it the next job will be to address the power steering. I want to move the reservoir and that involves re-doing all the lines that go to it, etc. It's either going back along the firewall or by the rad. I just want to free up space on the drivers side / have nothing there.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #2248
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas seems to have made some friends!
Raf, Sally is looking very nice!

Glad you got the time to get this done. Although I think your going to need to wrap it up soon, as it's starting to get nice outside. I'm sure she wants to see some asphalt again soon.

I'm hoping that next winter I can accomplish a large project on Lola. I'm thinking either shaving the engine bay or putting in a 4th gen Prelude 4ws system. I've been trying to track down a cheap Prelude with the setup intact. I can only imagine how much better a FWD car would rotate with the rear end helping it out.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #2249
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilas View Post
Raf, Sally is looking very nice!

Glad you got the time to get this done. Although I think your going to need to wrap it up soon, as it's starting to get nice outside. I'm sure she wants to see some asphalt again soon.

I'm hoping that next winter I can accomplish a large project on Lola. I'm thinking either shaving the engine bay or putting in a 4th gen Prelude 4ws system. I've been trying to track down a cheap Prelude with the setup intact. I can only imagine how much better a FWD car would rotate with the rear end helping it out.
Thanks. Ya, not worried about timing. Only thing left now is to clean up the engine, put a clutch in it and build a transmission. I'm hoping to have all of this done by mid May. I often thought about the 4WS, but then I also thought if something breaks you'll never be able to find replacement parts. That and the system you find may already have worn parts in it.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #2250
Raf99
Gold Member

Well of course I'm still working on the car but the 'cloud 9' days of things going well didn't last... haha

I tried to buff the bay and on the top of the shock tower I buffed through the clear / base, and could see primer. Well no problem I though, i have a can of arcadian green from crappy tire here. I'll just touch it up.

- found out pretty quick that the can vs the man made mix do not match. The can was a lighter more noticeable green. Even after multiple coats, letting it dry, etc. I had a bright green patch on the top of the shock tower.... dam. It looked horrible.

- Created a new paint booth again, made it larger
- Sanded down, started over on that side
- Painted again
- Got drips of paint from gun container connection, re-taped
- Sanded.... started over.
- Painted again...
- First clear coat , np
- Let clear coat sit too long in gun between coats and it gels up in the gun. OMG. Didn't realize this until I tried the 2nd clear coat and it just splattered crap everywhere.

- sanded down again
- meticulously cleaned gun. ditched inner gun filter
- had to buy more paint

And.......... whew. Here we are.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #2251
Raf99
Gold Member

Well......... I did finish painting the bay again. Did the results turn out as good as the first time, no. But it looks good. I'm being too perfect on it, so we'll leave it for now. But some lessons learned on painting...

- clean your gun in between coats if needed, rather than chance paint drying in the gun which causes splatter down the road
- clear coat will dry/gel in between coats if left in the gun. It's almost impossible to get rid of a gelled up gun afterwards
- a more expensive gun would be better
- a 5gallon air tank sucks and you have to wait a lot for the tank to fill, even with the gun set to 25psi max

So we cleaned up, and covered her up. On to other items:

1. Clean turbo manifold and apply cast iron paste to keep it from rusting
2. Tape off and clean engine, skunk2 intake manifold. Paint both sides of engine

Love this manifold. robust!

Before

After

I also have some new toys to put on. Can't say I've ever changed came gears before, but it looks fairly easy. May break the nuts loose first, but just have to find out where the cam gear locks are and how that works. But glad to have these, saved up for more than a year for these too. Oh, also got an AEM fuel filter, but not quite what I was expecting..

Old 05-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #2252
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

Real nice John. I like that block coat. What duplicolor is that?

~Mark~
Old 05-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #2253
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
Real nice John. I like that block coat. What duplicolor is that?
I think in the end it will just be you and I left on this site

It was this. Not that this tells you anything as they don't put codes on their cans. I had a lighter one, said nope, took it back and got the middle darkness which is this can. And used very light coats.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #2254
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas seems to have made some friends!
John, I'm still around. I was actually working on all my pictures last night to catch up my MRT. Hopefully I can get that done tonight. You know life > cb7tuner forums ugh.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:49 PM   #2255
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilas View Post
John, I'm still around. I was actually working on all my pictures last night to catch up my MRT. Hopefully I can get that done tonight. You know life > cb7tuner forums ugh.
Good news man!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:40 PM   #2256
timmy0tool
Accord of the Month: April 2006

timmy0tool is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to timmy0tool
now that's a manifold! nice build going on in here!
1cor10:31
- 92 LX coupe
- 96 EX wagon (sold)
timmy0tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #2257
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy0tool View Post
now that's a manifold! nice build going on in here!
Thanks! I bought it off a member on here, and it has no brand name. But it rocks! Decent welds too. It looks like someone copied the goautoworks unit.
goautoworks@hotmail.com
Old 05-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #2258
Size9zombie
CB7tuner Member

Size9zombie is cool... so far.
Wow man, incredible work.
Size9zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #2259
Raf99
Gold Member

Thanks man.

Fuckn fuck fucker. Was all excited to do cam gears today. Went to install them and realized they are the wrong part! Some ass-fuck put B series cams in H22 boxes, so ...... utter fail! GRrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 05-20-2018, 11:18 AM   #2260
NH-503P-3
CB7tuner Member

That’s not cool. Can they be exchanged?

~Mark~

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: