Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raf99
    replied
    Oh Ya, Suicide Kings should of been 80% more Dennis doing bad ass things (like when he beat the abusive old fella with a toaster) and 80% less of the 4 guys who were doing their thing.

Back to the door. Used this for the cutting. Still tricky to do. Next time I think I'm simply going to use a white chalk to mark 1/8" outside the outer limit and cut with scissors.

I could make it perfect but not trying to. That's the point of the rope. (thanks to whoever I stole this idea from on here. I think it may have been grasshopper?? )

Oh ya. The lights all done. The glass is perfect, but the chrome has seen better days. Looks presentable though.

Leave a comment:

• SSMAccord
    replied
    This retrim turned out really nice. Make sure that the blade you use is surgically sharp to prevent snagging the threads in the fabric.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    So I decided to go with this stuff. Should look great!
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004HSAAP6?...hk_typ_imgToDp

And started to fix the door panels too. The back passenger panel fabric never really "took". And it's because it was the one door where I kept the .... "skin" of the door on. Pics.... will make sense.

Booooo

If you ever do this, be careful when peeling in the corners. And you want to keep the foam layer.

Still got fabric, let's do it all better than last time.

Iron it out....

the ripple is a hole. Still have to make cuts for holes. use a sharp blade.

I'll leave it like this until I get the rope. & with the rope I'm thinking I'll have to use pins/needles to hold in the corners. I'd hate to use glue, and it comes undone after a while. Need a hidden secure way of getting key points.
    After 24 hours I'll use a really sharp knife and cut on the outside of the cardboard while pushing down on the cardboard.

Leave a comment:

• SSMAccord
    replied
    I like the idea here. 1/4” or 1/8” cord in a green or teal that emulates the exterior might be just enough color to be appreciated but also not be obnoxious. You might also be able to find a black ballistic nylon cord that would work. The ballistic nylon would have a contrasting sheen/gloss from the rest of the door but still add visual interest.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    Ya i totally agree. Red, white, green, not going to work with my car. Just doesn't match anything. Maybe a dark blue / navy blue will do here.

Leave a comment:

• CyborgGT
    replied
    To be honest, I think any contrasting color is going to look a bit goofy (or maybe it's just the 1/4" thickness?). Personally, I'd stick with the same color as the inner material; or a slightly darker shade of that same color.

You've got me thinking about how I'm going to tackle my door panels now. I found this vinyl piping, and I'm wondering if the sewable 'fin' can be cut from the round edge itself to make the whole strip more malleable, and just glue it in place. Looks like they've got vinyl to match all our OEM colors! https://www.ebay.com/itm/28307017855...YAAOSwSP9bVkHV

I'm finding some nice stitched leather material as well for the large panel pieces; you can get real classy with this, haha.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    Ya. 1/4" rope is too much for me. And the color.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    Story time....

Had the septic tank pumped out at the house today, which is a first for me (recent new home owner (5+ years). Buddy and his son arrive in the pump trunk and I hang out and talk to them. (for reference I'm in the IT business for 20 years).
    Owner / truck driver is most friendly guy I've ever met. 62 years old. Son is probably 23. Don't think I've ever met folks who were so happy. I was not expecting it haha, you know.... dealing with shit everyday. But the father/owner of the business already did 32 years of splicing fiber optic cable for a major ISP here in Canada and retired / got his pension. I was like woh. what? Son was an electrician, red seal, etc etc. for 8 years.
    Soo.... I asked the obvious question. Why....? they both smiled and said "for the money" In the truck and they were gone in under 15min. Cost was $440CDN. He said he tries to get 20 a day done. Slow season in the winter but have emergency calls.

If ya do the math wow. Easily $500,000 a year off one truck I'd say & he has between 10-20 trucks (other drivers). Dam ...

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    Alright. OK. (and downloaded that movie)

Leave a comment:

• Straight Success
    replied
    I'll save you the trouble.

Leave a comment:

• SSMAccord
    replied
    These images do illustrate the difference. The feature line I mentioned is where the lenses "bend". I have illustrated the difference in the images. It is also easily seen if you compare a 90-91 corner light to a 92-93 light. But the lenses don't affect how grey plastic housing that mounts to the car. I do recall that the plastic mounting tabs may need some tweaking, but that would apply to all North American CBs.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    Not sure how to quote two people anymore.. soo

StraightSuccess = I think the problem here is that I'd need a lot of Chrome paint to dip these. Like 5 gallons worth, which I'm guessing would be $200. But I'll look into it. First I'll have to find a crafts store, 2nd, see if they have this paint. 3rd, google... suicide kings. But thanks

SSMAccord = Not sure what the feature line is. I think the 90/91 bumper is missing the lip on the front / center / top portion. Between the headlights (looks in google). Ya it is. (I know there's a cb7 article somewhere about the diff). But as you mentioned the headlights are the same size? Soooo all should be good ?

Ohh, you're talking about the top of the headlights corner too i think...

(not my car)

90/91 bumper

something else i was messing with.... ( I'll purposely leave this pic dark). But.. not too sure yet... The bump stops on the doors mess up this type of theme. For those who never seen these, they are real VIS fenders, some old guy had in his dilapidated shed. Was shocked to see these & they were $40.

Leave a comment:

• SSMAccord
    replied
    Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
    They did turn out nice, but too bad the body of these can't look better.

As the saying goes, Looks good from a far, but far from good looking. The Chrome paint is good for touchups, but doesn't reflect. The corner piece I tried to make it as smooth as possible but meh. I could of filed it down and made it smoother but meh, It will do for now. Some of the chrome piece is just too pitted and rusted too. And the grey plastic of the housing is as clean as it will get. Used degreaser and still looks kind of ... brown / faded. All good though. OH. someone remind me why these won't work on my car, is it the bumper that's different or the grill?
    These will work on your car as is. The difference is where the feature line is in the clear lens. On the 90-91 the feature line is in the upper 1/3 of the lens and lines up with the top of the 90-91 grille. In a 92-93 the feature line is in the lower 2/3 and lines up with the center bar of the narrower 92-93 grille. This doesn’t affect how the lights attach or fit on the car.

If you decide to try to run a 90-91 grille you run into the bumper issue since the 90-91 grille is wider than a 92-93 grille. The 92-93 bumper has a plastic feature that accounts for the narrower grille. When you put a 90-91 grille on a 92-93 bumper the grille and plastic feature interfere with each other.

Leave a comment:

• Straight Success
    replied
    Sand it down with 600-1000 grit paper. Go to your local big box builder store, get a pint of liquid chrome paint, pour it in a 'busket' (My Suicide Kings folks understand), and dip away. Let it dry and cure with no runs, and voila.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    This would be the worse of the lights. There's no fixing the Chrome ripple, and not sure how to re-chrome these. A part of me wants to paint the Chrome part Acradian green

Leave a comment:

Working...
X