Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cp[mike] : 1992 Toyota Pickup SR5 (4x4 V6)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so anyway this morning i was bringing my girl into work (because ive gotten the big bad 4wd truck and all) but on my way home, i hit a pile of snow buildup on the highway and i guess i was moving too fast to recover, because next thing i know i was sliding against the guard rail.

it was a semi-minor hit, only cosmetic damage, and the truck is still running fine, i just need a new front bumper and lower valence now, which i can get from anywhere at any time. i need a new blinker light, so this can be my excuse to buy the 4-pack of clear blinkers for the front end (bumper plus corner lights) :P

you can kind of tell how the driver side corner is pushed in. the fender and corner light are cocked out while the end of the bumper is bent up. currently it rubs against the tire on hard right turns, gota pull that out a little bit.

and here you can see the destroyed lower valance.

...oh well... i guess it happens. thats why this is considered my beater :P
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 01-24-2011, 04:36 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

geez mike you rock and cleaning stuff

PSN ID's:Tidashoni
      1992 Accord EX Coupe
      My FS Thread
      Not so DD 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
      Originally posted by deevergote
      Boosting with a carb is like being a sniper with a bazooka... it works, it gets the job done, but it's not the most precise method.

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
        so anyway this morning i was bringing my girl into work (because ive gotten the big bad 4wd truck and all) but on my way home, i hit a pile of snow buildup on the highway and i guess i was moving too fast to recover, because next thing i know i was sliding against the guard rail.

it was a semi-minor hit, only cosmetic damage, and the truck is still running fine, i just need a new front bumper and lower valence now, which i can get from anywhere at any time. i need a new blinker light, so this can be my excuse to buy the 4-pack of clear blinkers for the front end (bumper plus corner lights) :P

you can kind of tell how the driver side corner is pushed in. the fender and corner light are cocked out while the end of the bumper is bent up. currently it rubs against the tire on hard right turns, gota pull that out a little bit.
        [img]http://www.****.com/pics/92sr5/guardrail1.jpg[/img]

and here you can see the destroyed lower valance.
        [img]http://www.****.com/pics/92sr5/guardrail2.jpg[/img]

...oh well... i guess it happens. thats why this is considered my beater :P
        You know...yours was the first truck I had seen in awhile that didn't have front end damage.

Now you're just like the rest of them!

PS. I forgot to throw the grill in your pile

Comment

well, following the heads-up from larry/oneoffaccord, i picked up this nice clean (may i mention... STRAIGHT) chrome bumper from the junkyard this morning. couple small dings in the corner of the lower valance but they can be straightened out easily, and considering the price (only $50) i cant complain at all!!!!!!! that included the chrome, the valence, bumper lights, as well as support brackets.

so this thing might end up being straight again, sooner than i thought :P

Last edited by cp[mike]; 01-24-2011, 04:37 PM.

Current cars:

Comment

oh mike shit was hilarious today mike..oh yea that part i got is on ebay already

Comment

so i never updated my thread, but back on May 1 (2 months ago) i fixed the front end of the truck. took hours of fine tweaking but it actually lines up a little straighter than it originally did! i still need to remove the "great gorge village" sticker (junkyard bumper) but its nice and straight and the clear bumper lights and corners are installed.

fortunately that bumper was cheap and the lenses were a cheap combo on ebay.

so last week, i started taking apart the rear end. im quickly finding out how expensive it is to buy parts for this truck! considering its age i was expecting it to be affordable but im finding most parts are dealer-only and quite expensive (ripoff!) autozone and the likes dont really carry anything besides maintenance stuff for this, not even axle seals!

in removing the leaking (rusty) gas tank, all of the fuel lines (all the way to the engine bay) broke apart. and the fuel filter, well, youll see below. i replaced the fuel line with a rubber line from the tank all the way to the fuel rail, using an inline fuel filter as a coupler - $30 for the whole setup. i cant even imagine how expensive all of those fuel lines would have been from toyota.

here is the new gas tank, cost me $275. the old one was rusted through at the drain plug and was leaking.

unfortunately the BRACKET that holds the fuel pump broke, the fitting on the top snapped off. so even though my pump is fine, i need a new dealer-only mounting bracket for $150. thats on its way, along with a new strainer.

i am also in the process of replacing the rear axle housing, which is also rusted through and leaking (i hit it against something). here is a picture of the new housing after i grinded the surface rust off, and painted it with 6 coats of epoxy paint:

and this armor will be welded over the dome over the rear differential:

during the installation i am also doing new axle seals, drums, and shoes. i also picked up these specific breather nipple fittings from the Nissan dealer, they will work for relocating the differential breather to a higher spot, via a length of tube. gotta make sure no mud water gets into that thing, since it will be full of pricey Redline synthetic gear oil.

i will go much more into that as i work on it, its sitting in pieces right now...

Last edited by cp[mike]; 01-24-2011, 04:38 PM.

Current cars:

Comment

while working on the front end and rear axle, every time i bump into the chrome trim over the fenders they pop off and dont go back on. thats what that yellow bungee cord was, it was holding the rear left trim onto the rusty fender (worst one!)

so once it finally fell off entirely i saw how badly the rear bed fender was rusted through... need a solution, fast... i know!!!!

so midnight wednesday night i place an order on amazon.com. in the morning it shipped, and the very next day it was delivered. 1 day shipping, free!

THE PERFECT SOLUTION lol. though the $300 price tag is rediculous.

now you see it,

now you dont!

they line up to cover all of the rust completely. including the rusty corner of the front fender after the accident made the paint flake off. they also now stick out far enough to cover the wheels entirely, where previously the wheels protruded about an inch. so they should act as good mud guards :P plus ive always known they were going to be a necessary mod, they flow well with the wind deflectors on the hood (which i will put back on) and the ones over the windows. i am going to leave them as-is, in the original matte black color, since it matches the theme. now i need to repaint the front bumper lower valance, to match this fresh black...

more updates soon, as i start putting this all back together!

still to get in the immediate future:
                - pair of rear drums
                - set of rear shoes
                - pair of new rear cylinders, otherwise just new bleeder nipples
                - spring hardware kit

it also needs a fresh new battery, a new exhaust, and various other parts like lugnuts (i lost the key to my locknuts) but other than those things and the rest of the tuneup (which i still have ALL of the parts for!) theres not much left!
                Last edited by cp[mike]; 01-24-2011, 04:41 PM.

Current cars:

Comment

nice man. I need to get me a truck on day

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                  01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                  93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                  93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

i almost got a 5th gen toyota xtracab 4 banger 5 spd for a DD.. if i had a choice of trucks it would def be a toyota .. i wouldnt put big wheels on it tho .. hilux ftw

Comment

It,s looking good , makes me miss my 87 4runner. And no parts for 4x4s are not cheap
                      needing a new project got rid of bagged S10 going back to Honda's

Comment

nice choice on the fender flares. i wonder where you got that gas tank from?

Comment

nice work. no one said workin on cars were cheap, thats for sure!
                          Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                          Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                          Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                          Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                          Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                          Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

DUDE I forgot about your truck...tsk tsk...did you fix the rust or just cover it there?

LOVE the front end man...INSANE rust...wow on the filter.

Lookin' good man!
                            ____

Comment

Looking good Mikey dude. Make sure you treat the rust first then mount the flares.

I'm so jealous. My next vehicle will be one.

Comment

Working...
                              X