No announcement yet.

owequitit : 1990 Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a set of USDM headlights today to practice retrofitting. I haven't decided if I am going to stick with them, or find a set of JDM one pieces to retrofit. Either way, I didn't want to chop up a set of JDM headlights without knowing exactly what I am doing.

I also got a new guage bezel, so that I can hopefully modify the way it is trimmed, and make it fit better. I noticed that in changing to 92, the made this part slightly different around the steering column. Don't know that it will matter much, but we will see.
    Last edited by owequitit; 09-20-2009, 11:03 PM.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Pic of the rear end damage that needs fixed. New bumper and that little fillet piece under the tail lense.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
        Bilsteins seem to be very good, which is one reason the German companies like BMW favor them. At one point they were the ones building Neuspeed's shocks for their coilovers.

The main thing is probably to have a shock with damping designed for the springs though. The Tokicos get the job done, and they are effective, it just seems like they can be a little harsh or a little soft, but not right on. The OEM shocks actually work beautifully with the Sports.
        I think the Illumina's low speed damping is too weak and high speed damping is too strong. IOW it's not regressive enough. I remember the Konis would make light work of low speed wobbles and completely cancel out high speed shocks. They were perfect.

I am thinking about being a guinea pig for the STR.Ts. They *sound* perfect for the kind of use I have planned for them (basically valved to the specs of Yellows at full soft), but for the extra $200 I could have perfect shocks. Dillema lol.

I think the foam will make the biggest difference. People always talk about going with poly bushings... I think the stock ones are fine for a DD. Even with my fucked up caster my car handles well on an all new OEM front end. Stiffening up the worn out chassis will make a huge diff... esp. if you couple the foam with an under body chassis brace. HID retro should be nice too. Lookin forward to your projects man, they are good ideas.

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

What happened?
          1990 Accord EX

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
            I think the Illumina's low speed damping is too weak and high speed damping is too strong. IOW it's not regressive enough. I remember the Konis would make light work of low speed wobbles and completely cancel out high speed shocks. They were perfect.

I am thinking about being a guinea pig for the STR.Ts. They *sound* perfect for the kind of use I have planned for them (basically valved to the specs of Yellows at full soft), but for the extra $200 I could have perfect shocks. Dillema lol.

I think the foam will make the biggest difference. People always talk about going with poly bushings... I think the stock ones are fine for a DD. Even with my fucked up caster my car handles well on an all new OEM front end. Stiffening up the worn out chassis will make a huge diff... esp. if you couple the foam with an under body chassis brace. HID retro should be nice too. Lookin forward to your projects man, they are good ideas.
            Perhaps. I just know they don't really work perfectly with the springs. They aren't terrible or anything, they just don't ride as well as some Neuspeed equipped cars I have seen.

I have a few ideas for the retrofit that I haven't seen done yet, and I may even retrofit the 2 piece JDM headlights on there now, but I hate to cut those up. Also, the main reason I am currently leaning that way is because I have having a hard time finding replacement corners. I had to specifically modify USDM ambers to fit, and now I can't find the same style. I like the look of the one piece headlights with the amber corner reflector, which is why I was drawn to those. Maybe I will use a set of clear corners and set them up like the JDM one pieces. We will see.

Stainless lines have been a long time coming because the lines on there now are original, although still fine. It will also give me a chance to replace the brake booster, and install the 40/40 prop valve. I will probably put some fancy fluid in there as well, and may change pad compounds as the OEM pads are leaving deposits causing a wobble.

Depending on how easily I can find the parts, I may opt for a 5 lug swap too, but that will be later down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean_4th gen View Post

What happened?
              Some dude in a Chevy 1500 rearended me several years ago. I didn't feel too bad, because I basically need a bumper cover and that little corner piece. His truck had the front bumper smashed in, and every other piece on his front end was tweaked badly.

Of course, my "tin metal" Japanese car walked away with quite a bit less damage.

Comment

TSX projectors on their way.

Comment

Some dude in a Chevy 1500 rearended me several years ago. I didn't feel too bad, because I basically need a bumper cover and that little corner piece. His truck had the front bumper smashed in, and every other piece on his front end was tweaked badly.

Of course, my "tin metal" Japanese car walked away with quite a bit less damage.
                  Are you sure the rear apron wasn't damaged at all, pushed in where the bumper bar bolts to the car?
                  1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                    Are you sure the rear apron wasn't damaged at all, pushed in where the bumper bar bolts to the car?
                    Yep. Everything lines up, there is no visible evidence of damage, and everything underneath is straight. I am 99.9% certain it is cosmetic. I know from experience with this car that it will take a hell of a hit. Had an early 90's 4 runner rearend it at around 30-35MPH, and it was somewhat bent, but nothing major. It fought back against her car too, and it was her frame that hit me.

Comment

Just got these in today. Need a few more cosmetic things and I will be set to begin.

Comment

Just got these in today. Need a few more cosmetic things and I will be set to begin.
                        can't wait to see the finished product. You won't regret doing an HID retro esp. living up in Prescott, at night you'll appreciate it much more since you live in a rural area.

If you're looking for 2 Piecers....I've still got Rays 9293 JDM 2 piecers lying in my room . I've already got my TSX retro so I don't really need these.

Are those the 04-06 non-fresnal? or fresnal ones? can't tell

member's ride thread
                        93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                        99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                        91 Accord SE 176k
                        97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                          can't wait to see the finished product. You won't regret doing an HID retro esp. living up in Prescott, at night you'll appreciate it much more since you live in a rural area.

If you're looking for 2 Piecers....I've still got Rays 9293 JDM 2 piecers lying in my room . I've already got my TSX retro so I don't really need these.

Are those the 04-06 non-fresnal? or fresnal ones? can't tell
                          They appear to be fresnel. Also, they are from an 09 TSX apparently.

I got a set of USDM headlights, as I am not going to cut up a set of JDM 2 pieces. Plus, I can just put the glass from my 2 peices on them.

Comment

Started the retrofit today. The Dremel makes quick work of the stock headlights.

I believe I found some bezels that will do what I want. They should add a little technical pizzaz to the project.

Also started a new grill project that should result in a better fit, and allow the mesh to be mounted further back, giving it a more technical look.

Comment

...technical pizzaz...more technical look...
                              Sounds like alot of technicalities going on...

Sounds good thus far, Scott.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                              Originally posted by Jarrett
                              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Saw you going into Home Depot today. Guess that's what you were working on.

Comment

Working...
                                X