Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contemplating my next car (to replace the Fit.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
    The problem with owning a Porsche, though, is that I would imagine it being a world of "you get a Boxster because you can't afford a 911," "you get a Carrera because you can't afford a Turbo," "Turbo instead of a GT3," and so on. I imagine an infinitely elitist kind of ownership.
    I'm not necessarily sure that's the case. I get where you're coming from, and I think I'm the personality type that might have that issue, but I look at other marques and models and don't necessarily see that. Take the new Tacoma TRD Pro and the recent TRD Baja models. They are the top notch factory Off-Road trucks, factory lifted, upgraded tires, remote shocks, etc, etc. A lot of members of the Tacoma forum I'm on dismiss those trucks as you can make a "better" truck using aftermarket parts. I see the same thing in the Subaru world, with a bunch of members expressing the point you can make a WRX faster than an STi for less cash than the sticker price differential.

Then again, the Porsche world is unique from what I've heard. Most of the "purists" view any non-911/356 Porsche as not a "true" Porsche.

My gripe with the 996 Roadster is how similar they look to the Boxster and how unexciting in general the 996 looks. Both the 993 and 997 iterations were much better looking IMO. The 996 Turbo and Turbo Cab was a big improvement over the base models, but I'm just unmoved in general. I've driven a 996 Carrera 4 Cab and it was an absolute blast and I wouldn't turn one down, but I think I'd rock the Boxster over the 911 and take the price difference and make the Boxster something special.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
      Even today, there doesn't seem to be much difference in performance. They probably keep the power at a certain level to keep the Boxster/Cayman in the 911's shadow. If I had the money for a new 911... I'd see the Cayman next to it at the dealer and buy that instead, simply because it looks better and I could never leave a car stock anyway.

The problem with owning a Porsche, though, is that I would imagine it being a world of "you get a Boxster because you can't afford a 911," "you get a Carrera because you can't afford a Turbo," "Turbo instead of a GT3," and so on. I imagine an infinitely elitist kind of ownership.
      I imagine there are quite a few elitists out there... but there are also those guys that are just fans of the brand, and just about any Porsche is good in their eyes.
      If I went with the 996, I would do so knowing it's the redheaded stepchild of the Porsche world, and I know I'd likely only be able to afford a base Carrera (and that the simpler, non-turbo 2wd model will have less expensive crap to break!)

Originally posted by KLIOBZH View Post
      The new Cayman GTS and Boxster Spyder are juste fantastics !

"you get a Boxster because you can't afford a 911"
      It's less right now, Porsche has build a pretty product range .
      I LOVE the Cayman. None are within my price range, though... and likely won't be anywhere near when I'm actually looking to buy. The upper Cayman models are actually giving the 911 a run for its money.
      The Boxsters that I could afford in the near future would be old, slow, and likely due for some pricey repairs.

Originally posted by KLIOBZH View Post
      $16,000... reserve not yet met. That thing will sell for $45,000 easily!
      My girlfriend's uncle has one like that. I hope I get to drive it someday

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
      I'm not necessarily sure that's the case. I get where you're coming from, and I think I'm the personality type that might have that issue, but I look at other marques and models and don't necessarily see that. Take the new Tacoma TRD Pro and the recent TRD Baja models. They are the top notch factory Off-Road trucks, factory lifted, upgraded tires, remote shocks, etc, etc. A lot of members of the Tacoma forum I'm on dismiss those trucks as you can make a "better" truck using aftermarket parts. I see the same thing in the Subaru world, with a bunch of members expressing the point you can make a WRX faster than an STi for less cash than the sticker price differential.

Then again, the Porsche world is unique from what I've heard. Most of the "purists" view any non-911/356 Porsche as not a "true" Porsche.

My gripe with the 996 Roadster is how similar they look to the Boxster and how unexciting in general the 996 looks. Both the 993 and 997 iterations were much better looking IMO. The 996 Turbo and Turbo Cab was a big improvement over the base models, but I'm just unmoved in general. I've driven a 996 Carrera 4 Cab and it was an absolute blast and I wouldn't turn one down, but I think I'd rock the Boxster over the 911 and take the price difference and make the Boxster something special.
      I agree that the 996 is probably the tamest looking 911 ever. The topless ones look like Boxsters (or rather, the Boxster was likely made to look like a 911...), and the blobby hardtop ones look almost like mini Panameras (which I'm ok with... I like the Panamera!) If I got a 996, it would definitely be a hardtop. I'd probably prefer a base Carrera, rather than a turbo or 4. Regardless, this is just dreaming at this point. I'm not buying a Porsche anytime soon! It's always fun to dream, though. Gotta have something to work for!

Comment

Working...
      X