Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Contemplating my next car (to replace the Fit.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corky Romano!
    Ok yeah... I see how that plays into that stereotype. Though I once had a vision for a street racing movie that began with the main character waking up and hopping into his car to "Take On Me" by Ah-ha. I told my friend about it, and he said "Corky Romano?" Totally sunk my battleship!

I just won't get a yellow one!

They do have a bit of a reputation for that, I'll admit... but there are plenty of other car that have the same reputation!
    I did a quick search for the top 10 *** cars of 2014 (not in a derogatory way... it's actually on a ***-friendly site, meant to be a good thing...) [oh yeah, forgot that word was edited... I'm sure it's clear in context!)
    10. Chrysler Sebring

9. VW Cabrio

8. VW Golf

7. Saturn SC1

6. SAAB 900

5. Mazda Miata

4. Jeep Wrangler

3. BMW 3-Series

2. VW Bug

1. VW Jetta

It's on there, but so is damn near every VW!

Comment

Actually go with a Wrangler with a manual. I keep saying this but it is the most fun you will have going slow. Plus the girls love it. When I was living in Seattle, every now and then I got to borrow my aunt's TJ Wrangler and me and my friend would roll with the top down. Driving along coastal (lakes) roads and many beautiful women in bikinis walking along the sidewalks would give us some smiles or waves, etc. Great times were had, and you can take shortcuts across the grass if you wanted too. Damn they are just the best, who wants my BMW for a soft top wrangler
      Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

I saw a Wrangler on the road the other day, and I actually commented "I'm surprised nobody has suggested that yet!"

It would definitely be fun, and it would make today a non-snow-day... But it's a different kind of fun. I'm more interested in the whole cornering on a dime type of fun, rather than the drive over stuff type. I live in South Jersey... there's nothing to drive over except roadkill, and the occasional careless pedestrian.

Comment

If you're willing to go AWD and add another $5k to your budget, there's the second-gen Audi TT quattro roadster...

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I considered that (Joey mentioned it earlier... I think he said the 2nd gen, but the 1st gen is all I could find in my price range.) That's a risky purchase, though. A premium brand, AWD, turbo, and nearly a decade old... it would be pretty badass until it breaks! I also just can't seem to get past the TT's relationship to the New Beetle.

I love Audi, but I don't think I'd ever buy one used.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

I already have this in the driveway:

2003 Cooper S, 6 speed, fully loaded (nav, fogs, auxiliary fogs, 2 piece BBS wheels... everything.)

I did not ... know that.. hmm, I ain't payin attention ..
              and uhh, do you have any other pictures? A link to like a "MR" ?
              THAT is ONE awesome looking Mini .. this IS my next car ..
              Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 02-17-2015, 08:51 PM.

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

I found the ULTIMATE Wagon for you Deev .. and us .. err, Wagon lovers out there.

Aston Martin Rapide Bertone Jet 2+2 .. OOOOMMMMG!

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                  I found the ULTIMATE Wagon for you Deev .. and us .. err, Wagon lovers out there.

Aston Martin Rapide Bertone Jet 2+2 .. OOOOMMMMG!

And it is just barely past your $150,000 limit! Or did you say $15,000?
                  Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Though I once had a vision for a street racing movie that began with the main character waking up and hopping into his car to "Take On Me" by Ah-ha. I told my friend about it, and he said "Corky Romano?" Totally sunk my battleship!
                    That would be me.

Comment

Technically a 2 seater and it has a sunroof. Close enough?

Comment

^ Too much power to take a corner, methinks.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

These last couple months I've actually been looking into replacing my RSX with one of two cars, and it makes for similarly hard thinking.

One is mid-2000s, so reliability isn't so much an issue. Choosing that car, my current 'project CB' plans wouldn't change: build the engine, then get the CB, all the while having this other, dependable, 'daily driver.' I'd just sell the RSX to pay off the remainder of its loan and have some extra cash, then take out another loan to buy this new daily.

Going with my second choice complicates things, because it is fifty years old - but therefore easy to work on. I'd have to buy the relatively-reliable CB now, then sell the Acura and still take out a small loan to get a rough-looking but well-running example of the classic. That way I have two cars I can't entirely depend on to get me to work, but I figure with my mechanical skills they can't both break down at the same time, lol. The thing with this car is that one of my childhood dreams happens to be very obtainable, and it's something I can make my own over time.

The kicker is that I don't want to get rid of the RSX at all. It may be the slow base model, but it handles so well and I love the hell out of its looks - I actually really enjoy coming out to this car because of that, however shallow that may sound. The thing gets compliments by random people, so it makes me proud to own the thing. With that kind of mindset I'd still choose the S2000, but the MR2 suddenly shoots way up the list. Even if not a project car, a subtle drop on some decent wheels makes those cars look amazing. There's a dark blue one in the city I work in that's got just a bit of a drop on some black or dark grey wheels... simple, but it has that 'exotic' kind of look. Plus: Toyota reliability. So if this new car is to serve as your main drive, as your Fit seems to do now, does that kind of shallow pride at all matter to you? Stock-for-stock your choices are all extremely similar in performance (especially considering it sounds like whatever car you get will not be a track brat), so at least from my own perspective, buying with my heart more than with my brain would be a large chunk of the final decision. Hypothetically, money no object and given a mint example of all of your choices, which would make you proud to come out to in the morning and which would make you think twice after you've paid up?

Accord Aero-R

Comment

That newish scion/subaru thing is pretty good looking. Guy down the block from me has one, looks good man.
                            Originally posted by cb7dazz
                            And you're english is much better than some people on this board and it's their primary language.
                            Originally posted by Jarrett
                            ...for example

Comment

I love the s2000, that would be my choice, its cheap to maintain. it has the realiable stand point that the other have. the Audi and BMW would be pricey to maintain. (seen it first hand) the MRS and MIata are great good choices but both are kinda small for a guy your size. Im not a fan of the BRZ or FRS (thats me) but they are all over the place and thats almost like a ME-TOO car. Keep looking and test drive cars and make a list on the pro and cons of them and go from there

Comment

I saw a Wrangler on the road the other day, and I actually commented "I'm surprised nobody has suggested that yet!"

It would definitely be fun, and it would make today a non-snow-day... But it's a different kind of fun. I'm more interested in the whole cornering on a dime type of fun, rather than the drive over stuff type. I live in South Jersey... there's nothing to drive over except roadkill, and the occasional careless pedestrian.
                                LOL Deev I love how accurately you summed that all up about NJ roads.

Comment

Working...
                                X