No announcement yet.

sideswipe : 1991 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after you did the swap, it is common to go back to the oil pan and retighten the screws.

did you do the oil pan gasket when you swapped?

its just a smart thing to do.
    I always hit the oil pan, then two weeks later do a complete oil change and
    check the tightness of the oil pan.

check that, maybe it will help.
    MadLab Racing
    Southern Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
      well you need to make sure you check your oil every week. especially after a swap.
      I'm going to from now on, but I wouldn't think with a brand new motor that barely has any miles on it that I should have to.

Originally posted by drummersteve7 View Post
      after you did the swap, it is common to go back to the oil pan and retighten the screws.

did you do the oil pan gasket when you swapped?

its just a smart thing to do.
      I always hit the oil pan, then two weeks later do a complete oil change and
      check the tightness of the oil pan.

check that, maybe it will help.
      Yeah, I'm going to lift the car up and check every bolt I see on the motor. All the seals & gaskets were changed during the rebuild so they should be fine. Maybe like you said some bolts need to be tightened down a little more since the motor's broken back in now. I bought a new bag of shop rags to wipe everything down when I'm done but as you saw at the ECHM...my engine bay is clean.
      Still hustlin that Old Skool.......it never ends.

vv My Member's Ride Thread vv
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=123371

Comment

A little update...

Ever since I was on the way home from the ECHM my CB has had a terrible vibration during acceleration, especially above the 3k rpm range. It's actually shaking the crap out of my steering wheel and I can hear some kind of chatter coming from the front driver side of the car. It's got to the point that it's seriously making me nervous and even a little scared to drive the car because I believe that something is broken or braking somewhere. Decided to check it over today after work...all the lugs on all 4 wheels were tight like they should be. Lifted the driver side up, removed the wheel and checked everything I could get my hands on. All seems well except the axle...it has ALOT of play inside the boot that is towards the center of the car. Just for comparisons sake I put the wheel back on and removed the front passenger side wheel to check that side's axle...no play like the driver's side. I ordered a new driver side axle and will be picking it up Sat morning so I can install it. I'm hoping that this will solve the problem the car's been having because I have alot of things going on in my life right now that need more attention than the CB does.

Just as a little back story, I believe the axle problem originated during my H22 swap. We were unable to get either 1 of the axle nuts loose after hrs of trying so we disconnected the axles from the inner sides instead of the wheel sides 1st. When we did this the passenger side came out fine but the driver side came apart inside the inner boot because of us pulling on it improperly (lesson learned). We had to end up cutting the metal boot band to fix everything inside and then I used a ziptie around the boot instead of a metal tie when were done. I've worried about that axle ever since then but it seemed to be ok. I was actually going to put a new metal tie on it very soon too. Anyways, on the way to the ECHM my buddy and I passed up the Raleigh meet spot because I wasn't paying attention to where I was for a sec and we busted a quick u-turn...apperently too quick of 1 too because ever since then is when the whole vibration issue started. Must have put too much pressure on an already comprised axle and done some damage to it. I realized RIGHT after I pulled that u-turn that I shouldn't have gunned it like I did but once again, lesson learned. That's it for now...I'll let you guys know what happens after the new axle is in on Sat.

Comment

Problem Solved!

Went over to my buddy's house today and removed my driver side axle...all the metal parts inside the inner boot were destroyed! When I popped the axle out from the mid-shaft pieces of shrapnel fell out all over the place...not good at all. I wrapped up the busted axle, rode up to Advance to pick up the new axle and then returned to install it. Got it in, bolted all the suspension back together and rolled back towards my place. Darn what a difference that new axle makes! Car feels like it should again...the road grip is back, acceleration is smooth and the H22 is hauling ass again! Sweeeet!

Comment

glad your enjoying it man!!!

Comment

Nice to solve issues like this! Sweet reading, always loved ya ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
                glad your enjoying it man!!!
                Yessir!

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                Nice to solve issues like this! Sweet reading, always loved ya ride.
                Yes indeed...problems suck...but fixing them is awesome! I've been keeping an eye on your wire tuck...nice work bro!

So it seems that I have coolant barely dripping from somewhere on the back side of the block. Looked all over in my bay and couldn't find anything wrong anywhere and my bay is clean like usual. Decided last Fri to take it to the place where I get my oil changed so they could check it out and see if they see anything...they didn't really notice anything either. But I do think I might have found the source....where the hard coolant tube on the back side of the block mates up with the thermostat housing. That's the ONLY area that has any coolant on the outside of it. Anyways, I called up Honda & ordered the o-ring for that spot and the other spot where the thermostat housing mates up with the block just to be safe. Picked up the parts today but probably won't get them installed till this weekend. The weird part is...the 1st day I noticed the problem there was a little coolant under the car but nothing major....and the coolant level was still good. The next couple days there was even less but still a little spot there...and coolant is STILL good. Been checking it everyday and really since those 1st few days there hasn't been barely any dripping now. Oh well, I'll change the o-rings out and see what happens. And it continues.....

Comment

It says rear tow hook, but I don't see a tow hook?

Comment

Originally posted by Peezdoutgelo View Post
                    It says rear tow hook, but I don't see a tow hook?
                    It's on there. Lol... Check the pics on the bottom of the previous page.

Comment

Good to hear you're working out these little issues!
                      -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
                      -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                      -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
                      -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

ohhh okay now I see. Great looking CB bro, keep up the good work

Comment

looks in tip top shape bro! Jelly of how awesome you lip came out.

KEEP IT NICE, NOT RICE

Comment

Originally posted by GunRunner View Post
                            Good to hear you're working out these little issues!
                            For sure...sometimes the hardest part is figuring out what the issue is.

Originally posted by Peezdoutgelo View Post
                            ohhh okay now I see. Great looking CB bro, keep up the good work
                            Thanks dude!

Originally posted by keepinitclean View Post
                            looks in tip top shape bro! Jelly of how awesome you lip came out.
                            The CB's been well taken care of throughout it's life. I love how the lip looks with the Plastidip on it...guess you can't really tell unless you saw it in person though. Lol...

Comment

Darn...been almost 3 months since I last posted in here! Lol...

Not much has changed, although I'm planning on adjusting a few things here & there and also removing some other pieces too. I've been accumulating stuff to put on but just haven't had the time...or the motivation...to get it done. For example, my Maxima flushmount that I almost forgot that I had. Not really sure if I want to install it since I'd much rather have an actual CB flushie. A couple days after I did all the work to fab up brackets for my rear tow hook & installed it I decided that I really didn't like it on there...that was back in June! Lol... I'm also going to remove most of my decals to clean things up a bit...just keeping 1 or 2 on the windshield and the 1s on the rear window.

My main focus is getting the suspension updated/upgraded since it seriously needs it. I think my main problems are that half the time I'm not really interested in working on it...and the other half my back is bothering me so actually doing the work is painful. I do admit though...there's alot of times that I look at it & think about all the time, energy, experiences I've had with it and can't help but be proud of her & smile. She's come a long way since I got her 11 1/2 yrs ago and it's still not over. I'm really just enjoying the crap out of the H22 and that's what's keeping me going at this point.

Comment

Well...the CB is down for a while. I was on the way home from work on Fri and was about to enter a traffic circle, so I started slowing down when my car just powered down and shut off. Wasn't really sure what had happened, and since I was in the left hand lane with a curb on my left and traffic moving on the right, I couldn't push it off the road...or even safely get out of the car for that matter. That morning when I went to start the car up to go to work it took a few extra seconds to crank up so I started thinking maybe the starter was going bad?

Anyways, I tried to start it up several times which didn't work at all. Then a dude pulled up behind me and tried to help push start the car twice...that didn't work either. The CB was in a pretty bad location to break down, but I did manage to get it off to the side of the road with the dude's help, and then he gave me a ride to my wifey's work so I could pick up our Pilot.

Got to the house, ate lunch and called around to locate a new starter in case that's what had gone bad. Autozone had 1 so I went back to the CB, took the starter out and headed up there to pick the starter up. When I was there they tested the starter for me and it came out as good...which really was confusing since I seriously thought that this was the culprit. I started thinking that maybe there was a fuel supply issue at that point so I bought some starter fluid to spray into my intake, went back to the car, reinstalled the starter since I knew it was good and then decided to look thoroughly through the engine bay for anything that looked out of place before I did anything else. That was when I found out the true problem...my freakin timing belt had snapped!

When I did my H22 swap I was missing the upper portion of the timing belt cover which is the only reason why I could see that the belt was broken. Now keep in mind, the motor only had roughly 80k miles on it when I had it rebuilt, and I just swapped it in about 6k miles ago which was in March! Needless to say, I'm seriously pissed off now since I need that car to get to work during the week because wifey drives the Pilot to her job. I called the dude at the shop that rebuilt the motor for me and he said he'd help me fix it at no cost except whatever parts were needed. For some reason, that just doesn't seem to cut it for me.

So yesterday I started removing parts off the motor to assess the damage done, and I found another issue. When preparing for the swap, I knew about the H22 auto-tensioner failures, so I bought a manual tensioner conversion kit from Kaizenspeed. When the motor was being rebuilt my shop guy gave the kit back to me and said I didn't need it because a manual conversion had already been done? I asked if he was sure about this a couple times to totally make sure that this was true and he reassured me that it was...and so I took his word for it. I then went ahead and returned the kit to KS and didn't think too much more about it. Well, after removing the timing cover I took a look and guess what...auto-tensioner was actually still there! Needless to say, I'm really pissed off now. I removed the plug wires & the valve cover so I could look in the head...everything appeared to be ok. Not sure if any valves were bent during this whole ordeal without taking the head off of the block, and I didn't have time for that yesterday so I do that as soon as I get a chance.

So here's the deal...I searched online 1/2 the day Sat and then drove around to numerous car lots to find a new car so I could get to work, and finally found 1...an '03 Accord LX on our local Honda lot. I really don't want, or need, an additional car payment right now, but I got it for a good deal so it's not going to hurt the wallet too bad. Filled out all the paperwork on Sat and will be picking the car up today after I stop by the bank and the servicing & cleaning are done on the it. I really like the 7th gens and I have a couple minor additions in store for it, but nothing major.

Here's the biggest problem...what to do about the CB? I love this car and after 11 1/2 yrs this is the 1st time it's ever let me down. I plan on fixing it if I can, but I'm not sure how long that will take. I've daily driven this car the entire time I've had it and right now, I'm a little heart broken & irrritated about what happened. My options at the moment are 1....fix it & keep it, 2...sell it, or 3...part it out. Wifey would prefer option 2 or 3 since she's been saying for a while now that I need a "big boy car". Lol... I'm not how sure I am about selling it, and parting it out seems horrible too. It's hard to imagine not having it and even worse to think about some retard molesting it...or even worse, wrecking it! Guess it wouldn't be my problem anymore if it wasn't mine...but there's been alot of time, $, blood, sweat, tears and memories built into this car. I know that there's a ton of CBs on this site that look way better than mine...but I still love it.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. I have pics of all this and of the new car that I'll upload when I get a chance.
                                Last edited by sideswipe; 10-31-2012, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X