Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stage 1 clean up

and some more wire re-routing

I think I can safely route the alternator wires around and under the p/s pump.
    Still figuring out how to do the wires on the right.

edit:

...and the side project of the side project

2010 Troy Built 550EX
    (Ready start/ no prime technology)

I needed a lawn mower and a friend of mine let me have this one.
    It was sitting for almost 2 years and was loaded with dust and debris, inside and out.
    It wouldn't start and wouldn't run

Engine:
    Briggs and Straton 140cc
    Champion RC12YC spark plug
    Briggs and Straton air filter
    Carb clean and restore

Exterior:
    Stock red
    Black accents

Wheels:
    Staggered 50/40r6's (f) & 55/40r7's (r)
    Self propelled directional

Cleaned out air filter

Removed carburetor

Thorough carb cleaning

Drained the old gas, and cleaned the tank

spark plug and gas treatment

Still wouldn't start, so I used a trick I learned on the internet.
    We removed the spark plug and put a teaspoon of gas and one of gas treatment directly into the cylinder, then replaced the plug

and it fired up on the 2nd pull

Future plans:
    Thorough clean and wax
    Polish exhaust
    Paint wheels and blacken tires

The man himself:

that's what dreams are made of
    Last edited by DCB7; 09-12-2015, 04:55 PM.

Comment

I think I got all the necessary pieces for the IM swap

Black box wasn't in the best shape. Used some Honda Grey

random pics:

the day I brought it home

positive camber days

starter replacement

This is where I'm at now

waiting on a ride to get a longer 12 spanner for the runners

Comment

Got the longer 12mm

That intake gasket is everything they said it would be. Damn.

I put everything together, even gave it a test run. A good one too.

But I got some things I got to address before I can call it done.
        For one, Honda little inside joke of putting the vss plug right below the bleeder valve, and all the hose connections, still got me even with a plastic bag over the plug. So no tach or speedometer. And I'm running coolant out (probably right into that plug) Which I'm almost sure is from where I looped the throttlebody coolant line to the runner. I didn't tighten that clamp. Missed it.

Good thing though, it starts, idles, runs. And it's faster than it was before, no doubt. Gonna get this tach straightened out so I can call it good.

edit:

test run setup
        Last edited by DCB7; 09-14-2015, 10:20 PM.

Comment

wow

the car is just begging me to drive it now

before when I reached 3k revs it was begging for the next gear

now its pulling straight through like a dyno chart till I tap out.

Mod list updated

Im thinking this a excessive amount of carbon build up

Going to use some seafoam next oil change

That gasket was serious

I went looking for 3M window weld lst minute at home depot but couldn't find any. This one said Polyurethane formula, but I tried it anyway. Ill get new mounts eventually.

Its not as gummy as polyurethane, more on the plastic side, but with some give to it

This is the hose connection that was causing the problem. From the looks under there, when under pressure it started spraying like a hydrant.

I ended up just capping it both sides with a stubby piece of hose with a bolt and clamp. I want to get a real plug for the neck housing side, tho I'll probably be the only one seeing it.

This is how I had to do the throttle cable bracket to make it work. I have to fix that

That should be the intake side of things for now. What else did I do....

I just changed the top injector seals (the little green ones)
          I eyeballed the brackets side by side and thought they were the same size at first, so I when I was doing the hose, I switched it to the a6 bracket, and it bolted up perfect.
          I had planned to use a cruise control vacuum hose for the fuel regulator, but it was too big. I got 5/32" (I think) and it fit good. 7/64" was too small

Things I got to do:
          wire up iab's, install pt6 ecu, install a6 camshaft
          fix vibration of filter against battery
          I want to get rid off the breather, but don't want to send hot ass oil into my nice cool polished manifold

I don't mean to post too much, not trying to annoy those with bigger mods, just keeping track and I'm impressed by the difference so far. Plus I'm surprised at myself that I did it on my own(with my son, who painted the black pieces and runners also) I can only imagine what the H's feel like.

Throttle response is immediate, and revving over 3k this thing gets completely uncivilized, and starts growling and shit, then when I let off, especially in 3rd its very deep and growly, all engine sound, little muffler like I like it. Some extra vibration, I suppose from the rear mount, but shifts are a lot smoother. (I cant stand when my passengers dip their head when I;m about to shift gears) no more

Gas mileage seems to be about the same, even with the hard driving
          Last edited by DCB7; 09-17-2015, 05:45 PM.

Comment

All that typing, I could have just made a video:

I'm not pushing it too much because I'm still losing some coolant. And we all know the F gears are miles apart.
            I think its faster in terms of doing its thing more effortlessly, and getting up there quicker still

Since last post injector #1 started leaking, I just changed out the rest of the seals. I had def. tightened the fuel rail down too much. The VSS plug, I just sprayed some QDP electronic cleaner in it and it came back right away. That stuff works

Comment

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post
              I don't mean to post too much, not trying to annoy those with bigger mods, just keeping track and I'm impressed by the difference so far. Plus I'm surprised at myself that I did it on my own(with my son, who painted the black pieces and runners also) I can only imagine what the H's feel like.
              Are you kidding me? This is your thread for your car. If they don't want to read about or see what you've done, they can take a hike! You do you, and those who care will come check it out. As for myself, I don't usually comment in the member's rides threads too often, but I almost always open them to see the most recent updates. I like that you're following the mold, so to speak, and getting the proven power adders done. I also like that you take really nice pictures, too.

Keep doing exactly what you're doing. If everyone had the same goals in this hobby, it would be boring. It's nice to see some that are dedicated track cars, others that are daily drivers being built [correctly] on a budget, and others that fit somewhere in between. I look forward to seeing more of your posts.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

hey, I appreciate it. Felt like I was talking to myself, lol. I did see the views go up.
                At where my ability is, for me to do more I would have to take it to a shop, honestly. So I'm just gradually doing little things on a budget and enjoying the process. This site made it possible for me to save on the labor And now I know why those guys I pass keep that one car under the cover, and always working on it Its good

and because I've been driving it, daily basically, for the last 3 years, I can tell you, it feels a lot better, almost like a newer engine. Next big one is the timing belt. Might as well do it when I do the camshaft, because I will be revving it. I'm not going as far as the head gasket...

I should be picking up a F22B with a blown head gasket in the next couple days. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet. I just found out I can put the head on my block

Comment

You can put the head on the F22A block, but you won't want to. Your intake and exhaust manifolds won't fit. You either need to run F22B1 or F23A1 intake/exhaust manifolds.
                  My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Man. They need to update this DIY then
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...head+f22+block
                    that messed me up a little bit. I thought I could use my current intake.
                    I didn't get to see it in person yet, or I would have known for sure

edit: I realize I should have specified F22B DOHC
                    Last edited by DCB7; 09-20-2015, 09:47 PM. Reason: dohc

Comment

Now that on the other hand will bolt right in!

I like to see the progress you have made as well. I just don't comment a lot either. But I do enjoy seeing progress on our members rides. Keep up the good work!
                      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Thanks
                        I guess I don't comment a lot either, but I do check them out, and even get some ideas, or at least motivation sometimes. I like the quality of your build, thorough right throughout, and the CL seats fit great, I wondered how they would look. I read a thread that they would fit. Keep up the good work

and if I recall, you have a F22B also? or a H23 non-vtec. How big is the power difference to the stock engine from your experience?

(and thanks again Jarrett. I guess I did follow the mold huh. I looked at the 30hp under $500 thread again, and apart from the camshaft and full exhaust, I got everything on that list, lol. I think I made at least 20more so far Torque is definitely up) Most of what I know comes from this site really. Especially the ooold threads

Comment

Originally posted by DCB7 View Post
                          Thanks
                          I guess I don't comment a lot either, but I do check them out, and even get some ideas, or at least motivation sometimes. I like the quality of your build, thorough right throughout, and the CL seats fit great, I wondered how they would look. I read a thread that they would fit. Keep up the good work

and if I recall, you have a F22B also? or a H23 non-vtec. How big is the power difference to the stock engine from your experience?
                          The CL seats more or less just bolted right in. I had to ream out one hole a touch to make the bolt go in easy.

I have an F22B DOHC running on a P14 ecu (H23A1 ecu).

I can't really tell much of the power difference really. The only time I drove it stock was to bring it ~120 miles home. Then it sat for 7-8 months and got swapped. Also it's an auto, still running the F22 tcu, I have the H23 tcu. So that should help it out, right now it's shifting at about 5700-5900 rpms. It should be shifting around 6200-6500 with the new tcu *I think*. Eventually it will get the H23 manual in my sedan right now.

Thanks for the compliment!
                          Last edited by Rilas; 09-22-2015, 12:07 PM.
                          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

wow that's a high shift point
                            Its good to see the interest in the car man. If not, I probably wouldn't even put mine out there. But I see that people still love them.

I did end up getting the F22B, but....well, I got some more back story on it and its demise, and it may be cause for worry. Worst case, I just bought a toy.

Well the story goes, it warmed up really fast, too fast. And would spike by the end of his 5 mile commute. Till one day it went, quote "boom!" (ok), and then "..there was a trail of smoke" ... sounds like a little more than a blown head gasket. I understand people might not be totally forthcoming with how they wrecked an engine, but at the point of pick up he had to give me the low down, which I appreciate. Flip side, I got IM runners, ps pump and bracket, injectors and rail, and some more. I should be picking up the p14.

I'll just wait till tomorrow to get a better look at it, and put some pics up. I wouldn't mind using it as a learning tool. I've been reading up a lot on it. I'm hoping the pistons and everything aren't fried.

side note: I tried the new fan timer, and fan relay with no change. Fans still stay on, next is to try new temp. sensor, re-wire switch or get a new one
                            Last edited by DCB7; 09-23-2015, 01:40 PM.

Comment

f22b

Comment

I see a build thread about too happen. can't wait to see the progress.
                                CB7TUNER.com
                                Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X