DCB7 : 1993 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H23 crank gear

Just got this in from my new friend on HondaTech.
    He even threw in an extra set of cam gears

Getting the pieces together for the head swap down the road

Comment

F22b

Plugs

Everything moved fine. No sounds

Pistons

valves

Comment

valve cover

satin clear finish

Comment

^^Wow, that is f'ing sweet! ^^

Comment

Yeah, that turned out awesome!
            [/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Tishock View Post
              ^^Wow, that is f'ing sweet! ^^
              thanks man

Originally posted by blk91coupe View Post
              Yeah, that turned out awesome!
              , can't wait to see it installed.
              I'm going to be taking the cover off soon, so best time to do it.
              I snapped one of those studs off that hold the valve cover down a while back. Got one from the junk yard and I'm using my torque wrench this time

Comment

Pistons

it looks like head gasket issue. Coolant was entering combustion chamber. Outside surface of top of the 4th piston is washed by it.

Comment

I could see the bubble marks on the block surface, and when I loosened the head bolts I could hear a wet sound when the pressure released (hard to explain). I'm going to have the head resurfaced

I'm assuming that's gasket sealer all over #1 chamber and valves.
                  edit:
                  Originally posted by DCB7 View Post

valves

Also, there is very hard build up on the exhaust valve faces. I'm also assuming this is from gasket sealer that's been baked on. Its really hard tho and Im afraid to damage the valves removing it. I'm wondering if it's ok grinding that off with the valves still in the head, or will I need to remove them? And I can resurface it with the valves in it right?

The head looks clean enough, and valves don't appear damaged. I will be doing a leak test soon. If it passes, I would just clean the head thoroughly, slap it on and be happy with that increase in power. I'm going to smooth the ports out, but save anything major for later. If I have to take the valves out though, I would also port it a little now, change valve seals, etc. and re do the seats, with h23a1 or other cam upgrade as a later option.
                  Last edited by DCB7; 10-26-2015, 10:18 AM.

Comment

that head looks nasty. If I were you I would let machine shop check if it is not cracked, remove valves ,do the seats , check valves and valves guides , replace valve seals etc. you have your head out of car now. Take the oportunity to do it properly.

Comment

I would suggest sending it to the machine shop as well. If nothing else for a valve job and new valve seals. Also since the head gasket broke, the head is most likely warped every so slightly. Which means it is going to need to be resurfaced as well. This isn't a bad thing and will also give you a slight bump in compression about 0.1. Also it gives you peace of mind in the future, your not having to worry about the top end at least.
                      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Yeah I'm not going to rush it. It is pretty cruddy, and it would be terrible to install it and there's a problem I could have taken care of before. I can't do all the head work right away so I have to take my time to give the valves the works. Definitely going to resurface, maybe mill a little off (like 0.020) I have no experience with that but from what I've read that will bring me closer to the compression the P14 ecu I have is designed for.

The guy I bought it from sent me this with his new H22
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6C...OGs/view?pli=1
                        got me a little impatient

Good thing is it's not urgent to get it on there. I've passed the point of necessity with this car now (unless you count ac and paint job), so this is all extra curricular, and I have yet to install the a6 camshaft. I would like to do as much as possible myself on this head build, for the fun of learning. I'm usually very careful and precise.

I've been watching stuff like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GEmuQa3dPY

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                          I would suggest sending it to the machine shop as well. If nothing else for a valve job and new valve seals. Also since the head gasket broke, the head is most likely warped every so slightly. Which means it is going to need to be resurfaced as well. This isn't a bad thing and will also give you a slight bump in compression about 0.1. Also it gives you peace of mind in the future, your not having to worry about the top end at least.
                          Yes, I had the same on my mind, just my english sucks, special tools are required so machine shop is needed

Comment

Definitely going to take it to a shop.

Comment

small updates
                              re-sold the 235/40/17 tires. to a guy with a RSX, slammed and tucked, who was in need of them. Ill just get 215/40 next set

installed an alarm (first time), with help from Sonikaccord

cluster lights went out, so I changed some bulbs. Went fast this time. Turns out the two top bulbs were blown, why I couldn't see the needles at night. Went from this:

to this

much better

also re-sold the prelude seats

didn't want to throw of the interior with the 2 tone, I was going to get it upholstered to match, but that was before I got the dohc. So I put that off

they were clean tho

they found a good home

look at the work on the rear shocks

Datsun 410 wagon

with Nissan 240 engine I believe

some old school Trinidadians. also had a 70's corolla wagon in the back, one of my favourites. It was rusted out bad tho

wired up the Iab's but still not working. going to try another black box
                              Last edited by DCB7; 10-30-2015, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Red Top SR20DET. JDM Nissan Silvia motor.

Comment

Working...
                                X