X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSMAccord
    replied
    Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
    Yaa, never go chinese with suspension, tires, brake components is my belief. and you are pretty much doing the worse extraction on a cb7 with that gas tank. Looks good though!
    It truly was a dreadful experience. I will do it the other direction the next time I attempt this lol.

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
    I'm definitely watching your thread. You seem to be walking many of the same paths I am about to now that I have the car back in a place where I can work on it. Age is getting tough, but you are most resourceful.

Car looks amazing by the way. I am very inspired by it.
    Thank you. It is very much still a work in progress, but hopefully I am in the refinement/tweaking phase instead of major changes and mods.
    Last edited by SSMAccord; 07-11-2022, 01:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• owequitit
    replied
    I'm definitely watching your thread. You seem to be walking many of the same paths I am about to now that I have the car back in a place where I can work on it. Age is getting tough, but you are most resourceful.

Car looks amazing by the way. I am very inspired by it.

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    Yaa, never go chinese with suspension, tires, brake components is my belief. and you are pretty much doing the worse extraction on a cb7 with that gas tank. Looks good though!

Leave a comment:

• SSMAccord
    replied
    Annnddddd we're back.

A Fall Evening

In the fall of 2021 as the weather started to cool off and the Accord season was winding down I noticed that the car would leak a tiny amount of coolant when I was using the heat. It took a while to locate the source of it; the heater valve hose looked to be leaking. No biggee, replace that and all is fine. Except it wasn't, the car would still leak a bit...it seemed to be the heater valve leaking. That is easy enough to replace, despite having to drain the coolant again, ugh. Valve replaced all should be well, except again it wasn't? It seems like the heater core is might be blocked and it only leaks when the heat is in use, there is heat out of the vents so maybe the heater core needs to be unclogged or replaced...more to come on that as I don't want to take the dash back out of the car.

Water Valves (maybe the little chunk of the old valve is in the heater core?)

Somehow this process also caused the IACV to spontaneously fail which made cold starts a bit of a hassle. But after swapping for a used one all seems to be well with that now.

Later in the fall I managed to lose the keys to the daily driver and had to drive the Accord for a few days until I replaced the keys. Coolant leak was manageable, tires were kinda frozen because of the temps. As I had to drive this car for a couple of weeks, I noticed that it was still breaking its rear wheel studs. I realized this as the passenger side only had 2 lugnuts remaining. Perhaps the chinesium that these are made out of is just low quality? Anyhow, I decided to replace them with ARP units and have not had a break since.

Late Fall Misty Night

ARP Wheel Studs

The last time that I did drive the car it managed to run out of gas, it was particularly frustrating as I was like 1000ft from my driveway. I had already decided that I was going to replace the fuel pump during the winter anyhow, this just served as confirmation of that notion. Luckily that meant that the gas tank would be pretty empty when I decided to do the change.

So let's tear into that...I decided to go with a Deaschewerks DW200 fuel pump, which is virtually the same as a Walbro pump as near as I can tell. Though the DW product doesn't have a CB specific application, so I just got a fuel sock from RockAuto. I also got a Holley Hydramat as an experiment, a failed experiment but an experiment non the less.

Fuel Pump Components

The first realization was that I shouldn't have reversed the car into the garage for the winter, my bad. Getting the car high enough to drop the tank and able to be removed from under the car was interesting...but I was able to immediately realize why the car ran out of gas without indicating that it was low on fuel, the tank is dented beneath the fuel pickup area from someone previously servicing the fuel pump. As evidenced by the condition fuel pump once I cracked open the tank given that it is a replacement pump. A minor bit of modification to the rubber seat was necessary for the DW pump to fit like stock, there was not a way to successfully mount the Hydramat at this time so I just used a replacement sock. I might revisit that in the future, especially since I think the tank has to be replaced due to the dent in the underside.

CB in garage

Fuel Tank 1

Fuel Tank 2

Fuel Tank 3

I did do the fuel access mod (shout out to Grumpy, Cyborg, Rilas and all of the CB forefathers who pioneered this mod.) I might have to enlarge this as I think I cut it conservatively small trying to preserve that plastic clip for the trunk floor. I also closed the pump access off with a EK Civic cover. *peep the first attempt at locating the rivnuts for the cover. Fail.*

Fuel Access 1

Fuel Access 2

Cover

Cover 2

Cover 3

The fuel filler neck was also very rusty and seemed to be letting vapors escape and needed to be replaced, RockAuto to the rescue again. The replacement fit adequately, but it is slightly irregular compared to the OEM part requiring the brackets to be tweaked a bit before it fit. Reinstallation of the tank itself was pretty tricky, the brackets for the Progress bar impede the lowering and raising the tank.

Fuel Filler Neck

Following up on the shifter bushings install from last year, the suggestion from Chrisnick/ @ beanstune to use the Hybrid Racing RSX bushing worked out well. The install was easy enough, the feel is better and no more gear pop outs!

Hybrid Racing RSX Bushing

Some random projects that got resolved...solved........addressed? Something, anyhow.
    After trying several different axle nuts on the 5 lug rear hubs, it seems that Honed Developments created a thinner axle nut that can actually be staked in place with the 5 lug hub installed. Other than being on backorder for a while, this was pretty simple as an install and it seemed to work as intended.

I also got a set of their steering rack bushings meant for an EG Civic, according to the OEM part numbers between an EG and the CB, these should fit. I haven't had time (or desire) to undertake the task of installing these yet.

Honed Development Parts

I also had a "swing and a miss". The 30 year old wiper motor is kinda sluggish, RockAuto to the rescue. I installed it, it was fairly straight forward. But it doesn't play well with the intermittent function and freezes halfway on the return stroke 100% of the time. Needless to say, I had to put the old motor back in. Oh well, maybe I'll try that again someday.

Wiper Motors

Leave a comment:

• SSMAccord
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike1357 View Post
    The car looks absolutely amazing bud. Also one of my favorite exhausts for our cars. I still have mine, but one of the resonators decided to come apart and start rattling. After that it was time to go 3". I also think those Spoon calipers look right at home on your car.

Seeing all these track pictures is reminding me of the time I saw an H swapped CB win the Honda Challenge finals at Road Atlanta. Our cars also seem to really excel at general autoX events. If you put the car in a class, not so much. I've gone to a few autoX events in my area and put Corvettes and Mustangs to shame there.
    Thanks! It is a bit of a work in progress. I think that there is also an exhaust tweak coming sooner or later for the car. I haven't ventured into AutoX yet, the CB seems like it would be an excellent fit for that kind of activity. Your posts from previous AutoX events were definitely an inspiration as I was figuring out what I wanted to do with my own car. I wonder if that CB you saw at RA was WagonSpec? I think he runs Honda Challenge in that region and is quite competitive.

Originally posted by Chrisnick View Post
    Hey just wanted to check in here! I'm beanstune on IG. As far as your pop out goes due to that solid bushing- its because the bushing itself is designed to flex from the factory, and the "good" bushings have a spherical bearing in them to allow for said flex. After running a few different brands in a couple different cars, I can say, without a doubt, the Hybrid Racing ones (for an RSX) are the best I've ran. The big bushing MUST have a spherical in it to allow for the movement as the cable extends through its range of motion.
    Thanks for the tip! These bushings did solve my pop out issue.

I think I was aware of you here and on HondaSociety (RIP?) but stumbled upon you on IG. Your projects are always interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Mike1357
    replied
    The car looks absolutely amazing bud. Also one of my favorite exhausts for our cars. I still have mine, but one of the resonators decided to come apart and start rattling. After that it was time to go 3". I also think those Spoon calipers look right at home on your car.

Seeing all these track pictures is reminding me of the time I saw an H swapped CB win the Honda Challenge finals at Road Atlanta. Our cars also seem to really excel at general autoX events. If you put the car in a class, not so much. I've gone to a few autoX events in my area and put Corvettes and Mustangs to shame there.

Leave a comment:

• Chrisnick
    replied
    Hey just wanted to check in here! I'm beanstune on IG. As far as your pop out goes due to that solid bushing- its because the bushing itself is designed to flex from the factory, and the "good" bushings have a spherical bearing in them to allow for said flex. After running a few different brands in a couple different cars, I can say, without a doubt, the Hybrid Racing ones (for an RSX) are the best I've ran. The big bushing MUST have a spherical in it to allow for the movement as the cable extends through its range of motion.

Leave a comment:

• Straight Success
    replied
    Oh, and BTW, my track day cherry was popped at Mid-Ohio many moons ago.

Leave a comment:

• SSMAccord
    replied
    Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
    Looking like someone was having fun at the track. Car's looking great too, but you already know that.
    It has been interesting to get more familiar with the car. Thanks, let's hope I can keep it that way.

Leave a comment:

• SSMAccord
    replied
    Another Fine Fiasco: Mid Ohio Sports Car Course

Continuing the summertime activities, the next event on the docket was a trip down to Mansfield, Ohio to participate in a track day hosted by Midnight Motorsports. Before that I needed to do a little problem solving; I had an annoying rattle noise coming from the front driver's side of the car and the tach had been behaving erratically.

After a bunch of trouble shooting, which included checking the driver's side mount to the engine block, a new wheel bearing, installing a new bearing in the intermediate shaft and swapping out the coilover it turned out to be the anchor camber kit. I originally tightened it when I started the process of tracking down the noise, but apparently I hadn't tightened the bolts enough the first time. Ugh.

Intermediate Shaft Bearing Replacement

The tach issue led me to believe that the ICM was malfunctioning. I have a spare, but I bought another one and the issue persisted. I decided that maybe the CKP that is inside the distributor may be the issue. I soldered in a sensor from an old distributor and the issue still exists. The engine is unaffected by the tach behaviour which leads me to believe it is either a loose wire in the connection on the cluster swap mini-harness or the PCB for the tach might have a solder joint that needs to be reflowed. I will probably tackle that in the fall/winter when I feel like taking the dash bezel out. Since the tach issue would not be resolved in time for the event, I left it alone since isn't imparing the operation of the car.

Tach Repair

Tach Repair

The caravan there was uneventful, dinner in Toledo which allowed one of our group stragglers to catch up to us. I am not much of a camper, so I stayed overnight in a hotel instead of camping at the track with group. The stay in the hotel was ok other than I had sworn many years ago to never come back to the actual town due me previously being arrested in this town...

Mid Ohio @ Nighttime

Mid Ohio Front Straight 1

Mid Ohio Front Straight 2

There had been a couple of rain showers the day prior the track day, but the day of the event was very rainy. Mid Ohio being a track used in a variety of motorsports events means that it has a lot of rubber on the track, there is also some kind of sealant on the surface throughout the track. That combination leads to a very slick track when it rains; there is a wet line but it is very odd. In my first session out, on the first turn, the CB oversteered in a way that I hadn't experienced before, I managed to save it and continue on for an additional lap. The CB decided to oversteer in a different part of the track which caused me to decide to get off track and see if the weather would let up by the time it was my second session.

While I waited for my next session, and listened in to my work meetings lol, I decided to add some toe-in to the rear wheels. In the process of removing the wheels, I discovered that the last oversteer event had snapped 3 of my rear wheel studs, which is kinda odd considering that they are HR wheel studs. Uh oh. I don't carry the tools to replace wheel studs in my track pack, nor do I carry additional wheel studs.

Broken Wheel Studs

Thinking quickly, I hopped on the internet and ordered a rear wheel hub from Napa. It was available locally and should have been a quick pickup item, of course that wouldn't work out that way. Around noon, 3 hours after I placed the order, I figured I would just drive back into town and check in with Napa because the system may have not nofified me that the part was availble to pickup. The pleasant counter rep told me that it should have been there, but the warehouse had processed, lost and then found the part and it would arrive by 3pm instead of noon. Arrrrgh.

I decided maybe I would just swap the studs out and not waste an entire track day. Since I was at Napa I decided to just install studs for the time being, only then did it occur to me that I did not have my wallet... After haggling with the clerk I managed to leave with the lugs since I had to come back to pick up the wheel hub later anyhow and could pay for them at that time.

Napa didn't have the necessary tools to install the lugs, so I began driving to Advance Auto Parts on the opposite side of town. Along the way, I remembered that I did not have a wallet but I did have the internet! I hurriedly found the tools I needed on the site and placed another pick up order. This worked out. Got the tools and headed back to the track.

And then I remembered, the rear of the car has spacers AND extended wheel studs. The Napa studs would not work (they would work if i decided to run without the spacers however), I then placed another pickup order from Advance for 8mm longer wheel studs. I got 10 studs and made it back to the paddock. With the help of the crew I got all 10 studs swapped in record time. Unfortunately they were still not long enough to allow me to run spacers, no biggee.

By that point the rain had slowed down and the track was transitioning from wet to damp-ish. Feeling better and not having a meeting to be in, I went out for my second run of the day. The track was still very slick, I managed to get a half of a lap in before I decided that I was still not comfortable with the grip level of the track. Someone had also crashed out in the time between my first and second sessions, which gave me pause about also crashing out myself. I decided to just do ridealongs for the rest of the day. I noticed that the Miata, which also runs a 200 TW trackday tire was also really skittish on track where the M5 and Corvette were much better behaved since they were on less track day focused tires. I might have to invest in a back up set of wheels and tires for future rainy day events.

Rainy First Session

Damp Second Session

The rest of the day was simple, I went back to town to pick up the wheel hub and give back the studs I didn't end up using. The drive home was also uneventful except for the scavenger hunt we took on to find e85 for the Miata. All good times though.

Paddock 1

Paddock 2

Paddock 3 with E39 M5

Paddock 4 with Miata

*if you look closely you can see the unfortunate STI in the background

I have ordered ARP extended wheel studs that will replace the Advance studs, but I have some time before I need to do that.

Summertime in the City

Leave a comment:

• Straight Success
    replied
    Looking like someone was having fun at the track. Car's looking great too, but you already know that.

Leave a comment:

• SSMAccord
    replied
    Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
    Man I'm jealous. Man that track looks fun! You were just sitting in 3rd gear most the way too. Even though I have a local track here (and only one ​​ ) I haven't found the time or $ to put Sally on it, although I've been told I should. But like going to the drag strip I just don't want to break stuff or more like I'd rather save the $ to buy more parts. Dunno, maybe I need to make more money to do this hobby. Assuming $ is not an option I'm surprised you don't have a baffled oil pan on there already. You should buy one, quick and easy install. That wet spot / dry spot / wet spot on last corner you mentioned. But was a road I knew, was dry-ish most the way but really wet / snow spot on same kind of turn. .... , back end let loose in the 1st wet/puddle, then the car caught the dry part (lol), and spun around so quick! I grabbed the e-brake knowing I wasn't going to be able to counter steer it and I ended up in the ditch on the other side, butt first. Luckily no-one was around, and the car drove out. As for your weight distribution I can see why people put the battery on the passenger side rear now.
    Waterford is a decent raceway and it very close to my metro area. I was apprehensive about the rain, but it turned out ok despite the interior being soggy in a few areas lol. The track days we attend are pretty cheap, usually around $200 usd. I think road circuits are little less harsh on the mechanical bits, most of the items are wear items like brake pads and oil.

I haven't decided what to do about the oiling issue, a baffled pan would likely work. I don't think I like any of the ones available as virtually all of them are steel pans that require the rubber oil pan gasket versus the cast aluminum pans that use Hondabond. Perhaps an accusump setup? But there really isn't space for it anywhere except the trunk.

Yeah, I am afraid of losing control on track. Since I am still figuring out the chassis setup/balance, the handling characteristics are very safe and predictable. I expect the car will get more sorted as events continue and I am able to tweak the settings. Having a car snap around due to rapid friction changes on the road surface is frightening, I am glad you managed to save Sally in that instance. I have found the weight transfer that lightens the rear of the car makes the rear of the car very susceptible to sudden oversteer situations.

Originally posted by Daheavyking View Post
    This sedan is so beautiful!! Wooooooooooooooow!!
    Thanks. It is a labor of love I think.​

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
    So cool to see a Mk4 Supra on a road course. I'm a bit tired of seeing 1000hp freeway dragsters, if I'm honest.
    It was quite nice to see it on a road course holding its own. It did really well, he did a lot of mods to reduce weight as the MKIV Supra is quite heavy for a 90s car.

Leave a comment:

• CyborgGT
    replied
    So cool to see a Mk4 Supra on a road course. I'm a bit tired of seeing 1000hp freeway dragsters, if I'm honest.

Leave a comment:

• Daheavyking
    replied
    This sedan is so beautiful!! Wooooooooooooooow!!

Leave a comment:

• Raf99
    replied
    Man I'm jealous. Man that track looks fun! You were just sitting in 3rd gear most the way too. Even though I have a local track here (and only one ) I haven't found the time or $ to put Sally on it, although I've been told I should. But like going to the drag strip I just don't want to break stuff or more like I'd rather save the $ to buy more parts. Dunno, maybe I need to make more money to do this hobby. Assuming $ is not an option I'm surprised you don't have a baffled oil pan on there already. You should buy one, quick and easy install. That wet spot / dry spot / wet spot on last corner you mentioned. But was a road I knew, was dry-ish most the way but really wet / snow spot on same kind of turn. .... , back end let loose in the 1st wet/puddle, then the car caught the dry part (lol), and spun around so quick! I grabbed the e-brake knowing I wasn't going to be able to counter steer it and I ended up in the ditch on the other side, butt first. Luckily no-one was around, and the car drove out. As for your weight distribution I can see why people put the battery on the passenger side rear now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X