X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steelbluesleepR
    replied
    man i'm not getting any love?

well update time again, i havent really done a whole lot, but it looks like ive done a shit-load. i ground down the welds on the passenger side, primed everything with self-etching primer, then started bondo-ing everything. nothing has been sanded with higher than 60 grit, but it already looks a LOT better than it did.

unfortunately i found a couple small cracks in the driver side around the engine mount, so i need to borrow the welder again before i do any more work on that side. until then, the passenger side and the firewall are going to get all of the attention!

pics:

the smoothed out headlight support and a sneak peek at the (sorta) smoothed out core support

not quite smooth yet, but its getting there

all the shit that still has to come out before paint!

Leave a comment:

• steelbluesleepR
    replied
    update time again, this time with pictures!

first up, when i had the welder i shaved the core support:

here is my engine bay in the first coat of self-etching primer. i put this down after I wire-wheeled the surface rust that was starting to form off. a LOT more grinding is going to need to be done before i am ready for the last of the self-etching primer. here are some in-primer pictures, which give you a good idea of about what it's going to look like when it's all painted and such. also notice the shaved and smoothed headlight supports:

here is a picture of the dash and some of the air/heat components out :

and some shots of the wiring to give you an idea of what is going to happen. not one wire has been cut yet, just kindof in the planning stages. my focus is on the bodywork in the engine bay right now, so the wiring is going to come later.

stay tuned! im going to be working on it off-and-on all weekend, then really hit it hard again as soon as i can for as long as i can. i am aiming for completion by a show at the end of may that is about 100 miles away, so i want some testing and tuning time before then!

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
    thats good to hear michael. let me know if you have any time this weekend to come down, that is if you dont mind grinding and sanding i need to get my bay smoothed ASAP so i can get it ready for paint. that is probably going to be the main thing stopping me from dropping the motor in when i get it built.
    Icksnay on me going anywhere man. Dislocated kneecap and sprained MCL got me holed up until further notice.

Leave a comment:

• Clean_4th gen
    replied
    thanks man, fogs are coming as well and yes, its a color-matched DIY grill, but that will be changing soon. i'm not telling though
    Cool I'm the process of making a DIY grill but I dont know if it's goin to be color matched though...your grille is clean and so is your paint job! That an OEM paint job?

Leave a comment:

• jhoff
    replied
    this car is looking great

Leave a comment:

• steelbluesleepR
    replied
    Originally posted by Clean_4th gen View Post

Clean cb! Nice clear bumper and corner lights! Is that a color matched DIY grille? ^^^
    thanks man, fogs are coming as well and yes, its a color-matched DIY grill, but that will be changing soon. i'm not telling though

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
    Looking better and better Jayson.

I got that EGR in a working Monday, drove it tuesday with no codes, but i havent been able to drive it since.
    thats good to hear michael. let me know if you have any time this weekend to come down, that is if you dont mind grinding and sanding i need to get my bay smoothed ASAP so i can get it ready for paint. that is probably going to be the main thing stopping me from dropping the motor in when i get it built.

Leave a comment:

• MikeW
    replied
    Looking better and better Jayson.

I got that EGR in a working Monday, drove it tuesday with no codes, but i havent been able to drive it since.

Leave a comment:

• Clean_4th gen
    replied

Clean cb! Nice clear bumper and corner lights! Is that a color matched DIY grille? ^^^

Leave a comment:

• steelbluesleepR
    replied
    no-picture update time!

i have been spending my nights grinding and grinding the welds until my arms jsut about fall off then go at it again the next night. the firewall is bare of all unneeded studs and the only holes that exist anymore are the mounts for the fender liners (wish i didnt have to keep those, but i want to protect my wiring so...) and the large holes on either side behind the headlights.

i now have self-etching primer on the head-light supports and the passenger side shock tower and i should have most of the other areas ground down and primed with in the next couple days. bondo and bodywork should begin by this weekend!

i also yanked the dash and got all the wiring pulled through to the cabin. i have most of my plan for the wiring in my head, i just need to get the courage to start cutting wires lol. it looks like i might only need to extend 1 wire on the passenger side chassis harness due to where i'm re-locating the fuse-box to! i am running the headlight and marker wiring out through the holes for the door wiring and sealing it up like factory. before i do any of that though, i need to get some high-heat braided wire sheathing and a lot of heat-shrink tubing to make it all look good

Leave a comment:

• steelbluesleepR
    replied
    what no one likes my progress ? i'm selling a bunch of stuff in the for sale section right now, so take a look. h23 and h22 intake manifolds, a VERY RARE bug guard (i have only ever seen one picture of another one and none in person), 2 f22a1 heads, 2 shaved valve covers (one is polished and painted but scratiched), my bisimoto heat sheild gasket, bare h22 head, h23 short-block with a scored crank but clean cylinder liners and some other stuff

Leave a comment:

• steelbluesleepR
    replied
    Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
    Its looking good man, I can't wait to be able to do this. Don't forget that huge hole for the stock airbox lol.
    i think i may end up leaving those big holes open, let some cooler air into the bay. idk though. im definately welding up the big holes on the driver side.

Leave a comment:

• mndude07
    replied
    Its looking good man, I can't wait to be able to do this. Don't forget that huge hole for the stock airbox lol.

Leave a comment:

• steelbluesleepR
    replied
    ok, update time again!

due to having lost my camera cable until today, here is an update of the last several days, which has mainly been welding, grinding, grinding, and welding

first up, yanking the motor:

i got everything un-bolted and ready for the pull (i thought), then found the 3 or 4 things i didnt realize were attached to the block

well, 2 hours later, here she is swinging free:

after that, i set the engine down, moved the hoist out of the way and grabbed my chemical stripper and wire-wheel.
    (no good picture of this process)

when i got most of the paint and nasty-ass yellow sealant out of the way, i started to weld everything up. did i mention that i have never mig-welded before

oh well, it seemed to turn out well so far.

here are a few progress pics of the welding in no particular order. so far i have over 60 holes welded up and about 20 of those ground down flush as well as quite a bit of stitch-welding done to the seams.

(sorry for the sideways pic)

me having fun!

when i borrowed the welder, it had about 1/2 of a 2lb spool left, and last night i used the last of it, so i need to buy another spool so i can get some more work done on it today. that's it for this update, i should have another up in a day or so.
    Last edited by steelbluesleepR; 04-14-2009, 01:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mndude07
    replied
    adam, the flywheel is on the engine, not tranny

ya, i got a bit done to it, borrowed a welder and got most of the holes (over 25 of them so far!) on the passenger side welded up as well as got a good start on stitch-welding the sheet metal under the sealant. the welds are ugly as hell, never really mig welded before and sheet metal is a bitch, but once it is ground down, it is impossible to tell that there were holes there! i'll get some pics up in a little bit, i'm already late for class!
    LOL whoops, I fail.

Leave a comment:

• steelbluesleepR
    replied
    adam, the flywheel is on the engine, not tranny

ya, i got a bit done to it, borrowed a welder and got most of the holes (over 25 of them so far!) on the passenger side welded up as well as got a good start on stitch-welding the sheet metal under the sealant. the welds are ugly as hell, never really mig welded before and sheet metal is a bitch, but once it is ground down, it is impossible to tell that there were holes there! i'll get some pics up in a little bit, i'm already late for class!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X