This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BBuncky2 View Post
    Sooooooo this weekend, I have to remove both steering knuckles and change out the goddamn brake rotors. Does anyone wanna make the pilgrimage and give a brother a hand? I have the tools, just would like to shorten this process.

(231) 878-6490 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************(231) 878-6490******end_of_the_skype_highlighting
    aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm done. 10 hours later, I'm done. What a pain in the ass our rotor-over-hub design is.

Comment

aaaaaaaaaaaand I'm done. 10 hours later, I'm done. What a pain in the ass our rotor-over-hub design is.
      I think you meant hub-over-rotor...?

Comment

Brett,

Yea, HOB (hub over rotor).

When I helped you before, didn't you have new front rotors & pads installed? They shouldn't be used up already. Cheap rotors went bad quickly? Explain.
        HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by nate'sCB7 View Post
          Im trying not to get my hopes up but saturday im going to look at a 91 SE.
          They said it needs a fuel pump, so it doesnt run due to that. What would be a cause of the fuel pump failing, what would it effect and what all should be replaced at the same time as the fuel pump?
          All 91 and 93 SE are automatic tranny by the way. I'd check condition of leather seats, being this old probably have significant cracks or tears.

Fuel pumps on Hondas do not fail regularly and well over 200K miles typically. Honda fuel injectors typically do not fail either. Main relay usually fail and cause the fuel pump not to work, which is easy and affordable replacement. This is the case then vehicle cranks over, but does not fire.

If the vehicle does not even crank over and battery/starter are good, then check ignition wiring harness. If this IWH does not work, then it usually does not feed the main relay/fuel pump either.

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
            All 91 and 93 SE are automatic tranny by the way. I'd check condition of leather seats, being this old probably have significant cracks or tears.

Fuel pumps on Hondas do not fail regularly and well over 200K miles typically. Honda fuel injectors typically do not fail either. Main relay usually fail and cause the fuel pump not to work, which is easy and affordable replacement. This is the case then vehicle cranks over, but does not fire.

If the vehicle does not even crank over and battery/starter are good, then check ignition wiring harness. If this IWH does not work, then it usually does not feed the main relay/fuel pump either.
            I went and looked at it.
            The leather was in suprisingly decent condition, except for the head rests on the back seats but easily repairable.
            It says it has 184,xxx miles on it BUT it has a F22a6 that was put into it before this lady bought it.
            I jacked it up and shook the wheels to check BJ's and wheel bearings, they were all good except the front driver wheel bearing will need to be replaced soon and underneath the car looked very good, no rust. But has typical rust on the body. (will post pics if you want)
            Its sitting on some Belle Tire Enkies with good tires, no signs of camber wear.

She was asking $500 and i talked her down to $300, so it'll be a nice steal if in fact its the relay.
            Last edited by nate'sCB7; 10-25-2010, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Cisco,

What are the odds of it being the PGM FI relay causing that SE to not turn over?

Comment

Brett,

Yea, HOB (hub over rotor).

When I helped you before, didn't you have new front rotors & pads installed? They shouldn't be used up already. Cheap rotors went bad quickly? Explain.
                They warped. They were shitty.

Comment

Cisco,

What are the odds of it being the PGM FI relay causing that SE to not turn over?
                  Same thing as main relay, which I explained before. Cheap and easy replacement, buy new OEM so it lasts you longer.

Comment

They warped. They were shitty.
                    Brembo blanks with OEM pads are a good stock combo that lasts. OEM pads are usually great pads, operate smoothly, no noise and last.

Comment

I went and looked at it.
                      The leather was in suprisingly decent condition, except for the head rests on the back seats but easily repairable.
                      It says it has 184,xxx miles on it BUT it has a F22a6 that was put into it before this lady bought it.
                      I jacked it up and shook the wheels to check BJ's and wheel bearings, they were all good except the front driver wheel bearing will need to be replaced soon and underneath the car looked very good, no rust. But has typical rust on the body. (will post pics if you want)
                      Its sitting on some Belle Tire Enkies with good tires, no signs of camber wear.

She was asking $500 and i talked her down to $300, so it'll be a nice steal if in fact its the relay.
                      Since these cars are old, most will require maintenance. Suspension, brakes, tires are all repairable and affordable. That is why I consider body condition, engine and tranny condition the most important. Especially investigate that automatic tranny to operate properly.

That F22a6 engine running well?

What color exterior and interior?

Comment

We did not start it up and did not drive it so engine and Tranny status unknown interior is type A black leather this se will be fun to restore. the first thing noticed was the rear discs the looked like my drums on my sedan but when i got closer i say that they were infact just really rusted rotors lol

92 LX N/A rust bucket restoration RIP
                        91 DX Coupe to 9293 EX Coupe restoration
                        funds for swap:$000.00
                        Bought from:HondaFan81=My current CB7 DD ,CB7_Sleeper1 Koochologist Tommi mtnbikkerkid33
                        Traded with: Wed3k

Comment

Nate/Scott,

Sounds like a 91 SE, solaris silver exterior?

Definitely check the automatic tranny out and shifter cable operates smoothly. Also, if rear brake rotors are corroded then you will probably have seized rear calipers. Those Nissin design rear calipers need to be cleaned & greased whenever attending the rear brakes, caliper slide pins seize up typically.

Very rusty rotors also indicate the vehicle has sat for long time, which is not good for any vehicle. Hopefully it is located in a somewhat protected environment. You want to check ALL electrical, as wiring could be attacked by rodents, check for brake or fuel leaks, check tire condition for dry rot and/or flat spotting (noticeable while driving).

Comment

Since these cars are old, most will require maintenance. Suspension, brakes, tires are all repairable and affordable. That is why I consider body condition, engine and tranny condition the most important. Especially investigate that automatic tranny to operate properly.

That F22a6 engine running well?

What color exterior and interior?
                            I asked her if when it was running how it ran and she said it ran stong and shifted smooth with no hesitation.
                            Exterior is gray with black leather interior.

Comment

Nate,

Yes, it's a 91 SE solaris silver. We had that exact CB7 in our family from 96K until about 290K miles. It comes stock with F22a6 engine, if you did not know. With 184K miles, it should have original engine unless previous owners failed at maintenance or timing belt change at 100K miles. Should be on the 2nd timing belt, which I would change soon if you buy vehicle.

I would think twice about taking into consideration what a lady thinks about cars or how it runs.

If you buy it, without test driving since it most likely needs main relay. Do take into consideration anything else you can investigate that I mentioned of importance above.

Comment

So cisco what can i take off of my sedan to take with us to see whats wrong with the 91 se? You know for a quick trial and error

92 LX N/A rust bucket restoration RIP
                                91 DX Coupe to 9293 EX Coupe restoration
                                funds for swap:$000.00
                                Bought from:HondaFan81=My current CB7 DD ,CB7_Sleeper1 Koochologist Tommi mtnbikkerkid33
                                Traded with: Wed3k

Comment

Working...
                                X